Chapter 35

Seokjin sat on the wicker rocking chair in the sun room. His legs felt swollen and tired. He had been on his feet almost the whole morning with Taehyung, taking charge of the renovations to the Singapore restaurant.

He was already into his sixth month and this pregnancy felt way more difficult than when he was expecting Seojoon. He was relaxing on the rocking chair, crocheting a set of white baby booties. Seojoon was sitting on a play mat at his feet separating the different colors of wool.

Seokjin smiled down at his beautiful son. In the past few months of living at the Jeon mansion he had become friendly with Jungkook's father, not so much his mother and grandmother. They were still quite wary of giving their blessings to the betrothed couple.

"What's that you're doing?"

Seokjin was surprised to find Jeon Sunmi approaching him.

He sat up a little straighter and kept his knitting on his lap.

"It's crochet Mrs Jeon. I'm making some baby booties since the doctor has advised me to stay off my feet. I was bored actually," he said sheepishly.

I watched as she picked up the booties and examined them slowly, admiring the stitching.

"These are really good. Where did you learn this?"

Seokjin sat up a little straighter, surprised that she was initiating any kind of conversation with him. In the past few months of living at the mansion, she had barely interacted with him.

"When I was younger, I had a learning disability caused by my mother's addiction to cocaine. I was born with an under-developed brain. I had trouble learning at school and a teacher recommended that I learn crochet to help me with my fine motor skills."

Jeon Sunmi looked at Seokjin, stunned that he had shared such a personal part of himself with her. He noticed her discomfort and continued blindly, trying to show her who he really was.

"I have never had a normal life Mrs Jeon. I was abused even before I came into this world. But I persevered and took care of myself. It might not have been the best way, but it was the only means I had at the time."

"I-I don't know what to say Seokjin. The world I am from, we do not see or hear of things like this."

She went quiet for a while and Seokjin moved to sit on the play mat and played with Seojoon's hair as he was almost asleep.

"Seokjin.....I think I have been very harsh with you. I am sorry for that. I know my apology might seem worthless and empty right now but I do hope we can work through our differences."

"Mrs Jeon, believe me when I say, I don't hold any grudges against you. You cannot change my past as much as I can change it myself. But I can hope for a better present and a healthier tomorrow, especially for my children. I know you have your doubts about my intentions with your son and your family. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a mother. I had a poor example for a mother but I did have some people who cared about my well being along the way, like Jimin hyung."

Seokjin stopped and carded his hand through his son's silky hair. He looked so much like Jungkook. Sunmi watched him intently before finally speaking.

"I loved Jimin a lot. He was a lovely person and a perfect match for my son. When he lost his daughter, he was so broken. He closed himself up from everyone, including Jungkook. The pain they went through was unimaginable for me, since I had never lost a child. But then, Seojoon was born and I saw a side to Jimin that we had all lost. He was blossoming again." She smiled sadly and leaned down to caress her grandson's cheek. "He's very beautiful Seokjin. Thank you for giving Jimin such a wonderful gift before he left us. I know he was the happiest when he had Seojoon."

A small tear escaped Seokjin's eye as he thought about his lovely hyung. Sunmi reached over tentatively and wiped it away slowly. They looked at each other in their shared grief before Sunmi reached out and enveloped Seokjin in a small hug. They cried into each others arms, years of sorrow and sadness melted between them.

"Thank you for giving me this precious gem Seokjin. I was able to have my little Jungkook back." She smiled softly and stroked Seojoon's hair. He was sleeping soundly now.

"He really does look like his father a lot," Seokjin laughed lightly.

"Yes, we do all the hard work and they end up looking like their father."

They laughed together until Sunmi picked up her sleeping grandson and reached a hand for Seokjin to get up. They walked to Seojoon's room and Agatha took him and laid him on his bed for his nap.

"Thank you Agatha," Seokjin said and the taciturn woman actually broke into a small smile. Mrs Jeon was stunned. She had never seen the woman smile before. She turned to Seokjin and helped him to the elevator.

"Seokjin, is it okay if I touch your belly?" She looked at him hopefully and Seokjin smiled before taking her hand and placing it gently on his belly. After a few seconds, the baby moved and Sunmi smiled happily, excited to feel the baby.

"Are you happy that it is a girl?"

"I am. I lost a daughter too. She was my first child." He looked away sadly and became startled when Sunmi hugged him.

"I'm sorry Seokjin. I didn't know."

"It's okay Mrs Jeon. Having Seojoon in my life and now this baby, is probably my biggest healing."

"You may call me mum. Is it okay if I call you Jinnie?"

Seokjin smiled softly. "Of course mum. I'd be honoured."

They made their way to Seokjin's room and Sunmi stayed for a while until Seokjin was too tired to stay awake. She smoothed his hair away from his face and admired how handsome he was.

"He's beautiful, isn't he mother," Jungkook said after observing his mother for a while from the doorway.

She didn't look up but continued to admire Seokjin.

"He really is son. I am happy that he has you now."

She stroked her son's cheek before leaving their room quietly. Jungkook smiled happily and kissed his fiancè on his forehead before making his way to their bathroom.

..................

************************************

Thank you for taking this book to over 31K reads. I love you all for your support and your comments just spur me on to write better. I hope I am not disappointing you with this story. 💗

I purple you 💜

************************************

Love Swty 😙