Chapter 50: La Fe

"Mija!" I wake up to the lovely yells from my mother. The sudden noise makes my body jump and wake up immediately. It gives me flash backs to when I was in high school and my mother would yell at me every Sunday for me to go to church. And that's what's happening now.

"Mija you need to get ready for church" she comes into my old room and opens the window. My parents are very religious so even though I'm a grownup with a grownup boyfriend we still need to sleep in different rooms.

"Okay" I mumble feeling myself sinking deeper into my bed.

"Mija get up, get your boyfriend and let's go to God's house" My mother is the most religious person in our family. My father and my brothers only goes to church for my mom's sake.

"Okay mamá" I reply and slowly get up.

I hear her fumbling in my suitcase before sighing.

"Mija you haven't brought any church clothes" she says and goes to my old closet.

"I brought my nice jeans" I say into my pillow and I can almost hear my mother aggressively shaking her head.

"You're going to thank Jesus for your life in jeans?" She says followed by a "no".

"Mamá" I say and turn to lay on my back to I can sense what she's doing in my closet. I'm sure she'll find a white fancy dress for me to wear as she has bought many dresses for me over the years.

"I go make breakfast" she says and kisses my forehead. It's no secret that my family is Mexican and I kinda stand out like the easiest where's Waldo picture. But my family loves me unconditionally. Normally Mexican moms have a soft spot for their sons but with my mother it's the opposite. Maybe it's because I'm the youngest and only girl but she has always had a soft spot for me.

"Thanks mamá" I say as she leaves my room to go make breakfast. Bringing Hiccup to my childhood home at first make me nervous but now I'm more relaxed. He's the first boyfriend I bring home to meet the family so I had no idea how they were going to react. Luckily, I think it all went well.

As the sun is staring directly at me I know I need to get up and so I do. As I sit up on my bed I notice the white dress at the foot of my bed. It's a white lace dress my mom bought me for Christmas. She always wanted a daughter but as she typically says she got 6 sons instead.
And buying me dresses haven't made me more of a girly girl.

But despite my inner tomboy screaming no I still put on the dress. It falls down on my body like a white waterfall. I calm my messy morning hair before going to wake Hiccup up.

I run to the other side of the hall and slowly open the door to my brother's old room. It still has his old soccer posters on the walls. I tiptoe to the bed before jumping on Hiccup.

"Good morning" I yell as I lay on top of him. He wakes up immediately and yelps in pain.

"Good morning" he whispers in pain. His arms wraps around me and he pulls me down to lie besides him. He spoons me and whispers in my ear:

"I love you"

Hiccup is a hopeless romantic I've known this since our first meeting. So telling me that he loves me randomly has almost become a routine.

"Love you too sleepy head" I turn around and push him off the bed.

"Hey is that the way you want to treat yours truly" he says with a pouty face. I laugh as a response and help him up from the ground.

"Come on my mom made breakfast" I say and drag him out of bed.

Breakfast at my house is always chaos. My mom makes a mountain of food since my 5 brothers eat like a couple of hungry lions. Hiccup and I walk downstairs to greet the other.