Chapter 36: Mi Amor

The sparks flew around us like fireflies. Explosions of colors was released as our lips connected. My hands held onto her arms feeling electric shocks going from fingertips and through out my body. I hold on tightly, scared that we would float off into the sky as the world felt so far away. I could no longer determine what was up or down. Her lips moved in sync with mine like we were designed this way. Her hands made it up my chest and to my hair. And while her fingers got lost in my hair, we melted into each other's touch.

After a tender kiss we parted. The wind felt like magic around us as I stood there and got lost into Astrid's sky blue eyes. I didn't let her go but her hands went from my hair and back down to my chest where they rested. How could a few seconds hold so much passion?

We stand there looking at each other in awe for a silent moment before Astrid finally spoke.

"Waow" was all she could say ensuring me that it wasn't just me who felt the fireworks.
A faded smile appeared on my lips as all I could think about was, I really want to kiss her again.

"Waow" I say repeating after her. Then she smiles which makes me smile. Her smile was so contagious She could light the world up with one little smile.

"That was pretty-"

"Perfect." I say cutting her sentence short. She nods and hugs me. Her warm embrace is like a contract ensuring me that she will forever stay in my arms, where she is meant to be.

"Hiccup?" I hear her small voice saying my name.

"Yes" after I replied she pulled away still with a smile on her face.

"Screw my dumb rule" she says. Her comment makes me feel like the luckiest guy on planet, earth.

"Really?"

"Really."

I pick her up and spin her around. My body is too filled with happiness to stay put. And when I place her back on her feet I can't help but kiss her again. When we pull away this time it's my turn to talk.

"Want to get out of here? And have a real date, just you and me" I say as I had almost forgot about our two blind dates waiting for us in the restaurant.

"Yes" she says and smiles.

"Oh wait" but before we can go she stops me.

"What about Jerome and Nadia?"

"Oh so you do know her name" I say and cross my arms with a playful grin on my face.

"I'm serious" she says. I look inside to see the two chatting while eating their dinner. They seem like they're having a good time without us.

"They seem fine" I say and she looks inside too. Seeing the two getting along makes Astrid more calm.

"I'll text Nadia that we had to go" I say and pull out my phone.

"Okay" she says but stops me once again before we can get going.

"What about my jacket?" She asks. I can see her jacket hanging on her chair in the restaurant. As little as I want to go inside and face our two blind dates I need to get my lady's jacket. Or maybe I don't.

"Here" I say and take off my jacket. I put it around her shoulders and she smiles.

"Or I can go get your-" this time it's her turn to interrupt me.

"It's perfect" and with those two words we leave the restaurant. We leave Jerome and Nadia but most importantly we leave the title just friends behind.

We walk hand in hand down the streets of LA. It's not too chilly but the sun is long gone. Our feet carry us to Caña Bailar. Where the sound of music and the smell of booze invite us inside. The place is full of life and we place ourselves at a small table only big enough for two people.

"Two beers, please" Astrid says still smiling. Antonio cracks open two beers and places then infront of us. He notices Astrid and I sitting there hand in hand.

"So are you two dating?" His question caught me off guard. I want to say yes, but what would Astrid say about it. Luckily, she answered for me.

"Yes" Astrid tugs my hand as she confidently replies Antonio's question.

"Congratulations" he says and puts the beers infront of us. My face is one big smile when I heard her reply. Antonio leaves us with our beers and that's when Astrid asked the big question.

"So how do we make this work?" Astrid asks. The day Heather discovered my identity as the day all cards came out on the table including hers. She told me about Astrid's concerns and how hard our relationship would be based on our different homes. But to my advantage it gave me some time to think about it and try to figure out how we can make it work.

"Well the biggest difficulty is we live in different states" She says. I wanted to avoid this question as much as I want to avoid talking about my life in New York.

"Yeah" I agree with her. But I already have a solution in my mind.

"I'll quit my job" I say making Astrid's eyes go wide. It looks like they're about to pop out of her head.

"No, you can't you love your job" she replies.

"Yeah well there's a lot of opportunities for me everywhere I'm sure I can find something in LA" I say and give her smile. The perks of being a Haddock is I'm able to get work everywhere. And I know my father would be furious if I left the company I was supposed to inherit, but I've never felt so certain about a decision.

"No I don't want you to leave Columbia" she says and looks down. I do as well, but not from my suggestion. The shame comes from the embarrassment that I still haven't come clean to her about my true identity.

"I mean" she stars and I listen carefully "I graduate in 4 months and New York does have a lot of journalism and activist opportunities"

I smile brightly as I hear her proposal about moving to New York. I grab her hand and smile. It puts pressure on me to tell her about my life in New York but in this moment I don't care.

"I'll extend my trip and we can sort this out after you've graduated" she returns my smile and sips her beer. I've already been away from work for a month and my father told me the company is doing fine so why not 4 more.

"Can you really take 5 months of vacation?" Normally no job would give their employees almost half a year of vacation. But that's the good thing about ones boss being your dad.

"I haven't taken a break from work in 3 years" I say, which is true, I graduated early and started working for my dad. I learned everything about the company so I could get ready to apply.

"So I think they owe me some vacation days" I say and give her a wink. She smiles and we cheers. I'm sure my dad is going to be mad, but this is the right thing to do. I want to be with Astrid and I want to see her graduate. I want to be with her everyday. I used to think my true love was work and success but the more I'm with Astrid the more I start to realize she is the love of my life.

We both raise our beers to love.

This chapter it a cheers to being in love. It's a salud to the energy which drives us crazy, changes us, makes us be dumb, stupid but all in all makes us a better person. The countless movies, poems and stories about love teaches us that no love is the same. And that's the beauty of love.

Spoiler for next chapter:

"They named you Hiccup Bing"