Chapter 6: The casual Hiccup Haddock

"Wait you're from New York?"

Her question took me off guard. She really doesn't know who I am?
I look her in the eyes waiting for her to realize that I'm Hiccup Haddock. My name is lighted up on Times Squares, how does she not know who I am.

"Yeah I moved to New York" I say carefully still waiting for her to realize that I'm not just some normal guy.

"Well..." she does that again. Starts a sentence and then takes a long break before continuing, making me anxiously wait for her to finish.

"You do look familiar" with her comment my body freeze. I look at her with my nervous and tense eyes. I look at the ground feeling kinda down that she noticed who I was. I should never have told her I am from New York.
The sad feeling of her finding out my true identity was so odd, everyone knows who I am so why am I disappointed?

"You look like one of those "ey I'm walking here" she moves her shoulders and hands as she's doing her impression of a stereotypical New Yorker. I laugh at her impression. I can't help but feel relieved that she doesn't know who I am. This means I can for once be normal?

"Waow that's how you see us New Yorkers" I laugh eyeing her picking up a blood red apple.

"Not just me, the world" she chuckles throwing me the apple. I luckily catch it with both my hands. It would have been so embarrassing if I'd dropped it.

She walked ahead of me, down the lit up street from the beaming sun. Her hair shining from the touch of the sun.
I don't know why I smiled but I didn't want to stop it.

"Come along" she says breaking me out of my zone.

"Right"

I follow her to a cozy ice cream store.
It's a very small shop on the street with a glass door giving the people a glance of what's inside. I follow Astrid inside, looking around taking it all in.
Rows of ice cream in a glass mounter I front of us. Chocolate, pistachio, vanilla, strawberry and so many other flavors is making me slightly drool.

"Do you like ice cream?" Astrid blueberry eyes meets mine and I smile.

"Never tried it. We don't have ice cream in New York" I smirk playfully looking at the ice cream again pretending I've never seen it before.

"Ha ha ha, very funny Hiccup" she says sarcastically rolling her eyes at me making me laugh.

"May I have a cone with pistachio and for you?" Astrid blue eyes looks at me again waiting impatiently for me to answer her. My stomach fills with butterflies as I consider what flavor to have. I love ice cream.
I look back at Astrid before answering her:

"Blueberry, please"

"And one with blueberry" she tells the man on the other side of the desk. I see a smile on his lips under his thick beard.

"Here you go" the man hands Astrid her's and me mine.

"Thank you" I say reaching for my wallet but before I can pull it out of my pocket Astrid cuts me off.

"No no, this is my town, my treat" she says sweetly but firm. Honestly she keeps taking my breath away. No girl has ever payed for me not even my friends pays for themselves when we go out. I felt bubbles of happiness forming in my heart.

"N-n-no let me" I try to protest but ends up in an awkward stutter.

"Too late" Astrid says handing the man 10 dollars.