Chapter 18: UCLA

"Uh and then he dies" I say but hiccup doesn't seem too amused with my ending.

"Why are you so dark" He laughs. Hiccup and I have been talking for hours now. Seems like we never run out of stuff to talk about. Our current subject is if we made our own movie what would it be like?

"Well there needs to be some action!" I explain. So far our movie is about a boy that meets a dragon and instead of killing it becomes friends with it. But in his village dragon killing is the norm so this boy has to keep the friendship a secret. Sadly, they eventually find out and then they have to fight of this dragon that is controlling the others. Now we're just discussing the ending to our movie.
The inspiration to our movie is clearly from our common love for game of thrones.

"You can't just kill off the main person!" Hiccup doesn't like the ending I'm suggesting. As I'm ice cold to just killing of the main person hiccup doesn't want it to be that much like game of thrones.

"Well okay then at least let him loose an arm or a foot" I say compromising with his terms. We have both laughed so much my stomach hurts a bit.

"Okay fine" He says finally giving in to my last offer. I smile as I am happy with my victory.

"That would be a great movie" I say shaking my head with my arms leaning on the bar-wood in front of me.

"Yeah let's drop out of school and make it" Hiccup says making us laugh even more. Wait did he just say... school!

"Oh no school" I say throwing off my apron faster than you can say dragon. How could I forget the time like that.

"Ruth, are you going to be good?" I look to my coworker that smiles and nods in response. Okay now I just need to run for the bus.
I grab my bag and is about to make a run for it but I'm forgetting something fairly important.
I turn around to meet a very confused Hiccup sitting on the barchair looking like he hasn't comprehended what just happened.

"I got to go" I say walking closer to him "but I'll see you around". A smile grows on his face and I won't admit it but his smile made me blush just a bit.

"Have fun" He says and that's my cue. I give him a fast and quick hug. Just a friendly hug as a thanks for keeping me company and for understanding. Then in the next second I'm out the door. Running with my bag on my back with my hand tightly holding the straps to make sure it doesn't fall off.

I see the bus waiting for the last man to board it. I sprint faster as I see the last person get on the bus. I move my tempo up another notch just in time for me to be standing in front of the closed bus doors before it could take off. The bus driver shakes his head but let's me get on anyhow. I pull up my buscard out from my pocket trying my best to control my breath. But I'm out. I stumble down on an empty seat to catch my breath. Well that was the workout of the week.

"30 minutes" I mumble as I begin to calculate how much time I have till class.
I see LA pass by my eyes. I know this bus route so well I can predict everything we're going to pass. 10 minutes later I see the familiar UCLA science building coming into sight. I don't spend much time in that particular building but I know my way around.

When the bus stops I jump out. "20 minutes" i say out loud as I'm looking at the time.

I walk over to the humanities building also know as the art building. I believe one student even called it the artsy place. I'm walking in my own little bubble until my thoughts gets interrupted by a blond friend of mine.

"Asty what up girl" I see Ruff coming at me with the campus behind her.

"Just feel like a ran a 2 miles to get to school" I say still feeling a bit sore from the sprinting.

"That's why I choose not to be a scholarship student" she laughs wrapping her arm around me. Ruff is to some people's surprise incredible smart but in high school she didn't want to put the effort in to try and get a scholarship. Luckily her parents had the money to send her to UCLA.

"Look who made it" I hear a very familiar voice behind me. With a grin on my face I turn around to face her. Heather is standing there with her bag and a smile.

"I always do" I say defending my case. My friends knows a little too well. I'm always running from one thing to another.

The three of us walk to class together. Class goes by in slow motion. I feel like I'm writing a page of notes by the minute. My hand is cramping and my head feels heavy probably shouldn't had taken that last shot last night. Ruff is almost falling asleep besides me.

"What does he mean by the first paragraph?" My professor looks at the sea of hands. My hand is a part of that sea. I get eye contact with the professor and chooses me.

"Owel does the exact opposite of our society. Instead of putting up a mirror to society he flips it 180 degrees. We would support the weak but in this story they pull every one down to the same level" I say seeing my professor giving me a satisfied nod.

"Exactly right Miss Hofferson" He says making me smile and scramble more notes down.
Finally class ended. Ruff looks half asleep still effected by the hangover. Heather doesn't look to good either she's pale and her eyes are red and sleepy.

"Astrid Hofferson a word" my professor calls me down and I don't hesitate to follow.
My bag gets thrown on my shoulder as I begin to walk down the stairs to his desk.

"Yes professor Throk" I say looking up at him. Out of all my professors he's my favorite. He's one of the youngest professors here and is very passionate about his class.

"Mala wanted me to ask you if you were able to make a special tour of our campus for some very important people." It doesn't really sound like a question since he probably already know the answer.

"Of course" I reply giving him a smile before joining my two girls waiting for me in the hallway.

"What did he want?" Heather asks as we're walking down the hallway.

"Just asked me to do another tour for some important people" I say rolling my eyes. UCLA is a great university with many opportunities and Mala is trying very hard to get the best students to go here.

"Of course she did. let's show off the foster child that fought her way up the food chain and got a full scholarship" Ruff says making her Mala impression and some overdramatic hand gestures.

"That was almost poetic" I say laughing. It's true ever since I got my full ride Mala has used me as a face to show that even the poor can make it here with hard work.

My girls and I laugh as Ruff continues to talk like Mala. Owning us some funny glances from the other on campus but we just laugh it off.

The next couple of chapters are going to focus on the trio: Heather, Ruff and Astrid. So we'll follow them around campus and in their everyday life. Because as much as I love Hiccstrid I also want the characters to be more than evolve around love. I hope you like that as well.

Spoiler for next chapter:

"Hey What Harry Potter house is y'all?"