Chapter 7: Not to quote the Beatles but "Help"

"Well that was it" I say as I put my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah you're right" Hiccup says.

An awkward silence falls on us, like we don't have more to say. At last I couldn't stand the awkwardness.

"Pleasure to meet you Hiccup from New York" I say breaking the silence with my terrible New Yorker accent.

"The pleasure is all mine, Astrid" He says smiling.

I return his smile before turning around heading back towards Maria St. but before I get too far I turn around giving him one last look.

He walks towards the main road probably to get a cab and go back to his hotel or maybe going sightseeing with some other "non tourist".

As I walk back down Maria St I can't help but think about him. Hiccup Haddock from New York. There's some mystery about him that makes it impossible to get him out of my head.
But soon my thoughts gets interrupted.

"Astrid"

"Will" I say trying to put on a poker face. He wasn't really making my day any better.

He goes to hug me which I return in awkwardness, cursing in my head why he's here.

"What are you doing here you don't live in this part of town" I ask looking up at him.

He smoothly picks up a rose from one of the boys walking around selling roses on the street. He hands him 5 dollars and tells him to keep the rest. You can say a lot about William but one thing he is for sure is kind hearted. Which is one of the reasons why I fell for him...

"I was running some errands and thought why not take a walk on LA's most beautiful street"

A part of me knew he was lying. His lying skills are far from perfect, they're not even good. He always look down when he's telling a lie, which made me suspicious.

"Errands huh?" I say questioning his explanation. My comment makes him tense up and his eyes flickers away from mine and is instead looking at the ground.

"Astrid-" his tone made me worried. It's his serious tone. Believe me when I say that Will is easy to read, after our first date I could read him with ease. He's like an open book, an open book where the author has explained what the reader is supposed to read between the lines.

"Did you find your wallet?" He asks. His tone changed to quickly I almost didn't realize it. With my eyes looking at his I tell him the truth.

"No not yet" I say. The reminder of my lost wallet magically makes all those mixed emotions of sadness, anger and annoyance come back. Hiccup had made me for a short while forget about both rent, William and my lost wallet. How did he manage that?

"Why don't I pay this months rent then?" His question caught me off guard. My mouth can no longer put a sentence together and I start to mumble uncontrollably.

"I-I what? No no absolutely not" I finally form some sort of sentence.  My statement makes him frown a bit but he doesn't give up.

"Please if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have lost it" he says. Before I can think a single thought my mouth starts talking.