Chapter 35: The Blind Date II

I walk hastily to the bathroom. I'm furious and I keep asking myself why Heather would do this. Why did she tell Hiccup I was here when she knew I needed some space from him and she's the one who set me up with Jerome.

When I'm in the ladies room I take out my phone and dial Heather's number. It rings a couple of times before she picks up.

"Hey A, what's up" Her voice sounds tired and I can hear her watching Netflix in the background.

"So, Heather, when were you going to tell me that you told Hiccup that I'm on a date tonight" for a moment there's just silent. It almost made me wonder is she just hung up but I can hear the slight background noise.

"Ehhh now?" She sounds nervous.

"Heather, when I'm done with this date I'm coming straight to your dorm room to stab you with the knife you left in my back" And before Heather can reply I hang up. I take a long look in the mirror giving myself a pep talk in my head. After retouching my lipgloss I'm ready to get back to my awkward double date.

When I return to our table I sit down quietly and give Jerome a smile. Him and Hiccup seem to small talk I hope it isn't about me.

"What did I miss?" I ask giving Hiccup an annoyed smile.

"Not much just told him about our date in the café" he says and wiggles his eyebrows. While he's sipping his wine I just give him the death glare.

"It wasn't a date" I say in a high pitch tone trying not to freak Jerome out. Where did Hiccup get the confidence to do this. The other times we've hung out he's always been so awkward and nervously cute.

"It was memorable though" Hiccup gives me a cocky smirk and I just shake my head. Did Heather tell him about my feelings?

"Yeah Hiccup told me you work at this great café" Jerome gives me a smile and his voice is smooth making me happy by the fact that Hiccup isn't freaking him out.

"Maybe we could get coffee there sometime" I return his smile and nod. I turn to see Hiccup's priceless face, he looks green of jealousy.

"We could go with them and then it's a double, double date" Nadia laughs at her own joke and I can sense Hiccup laughing out of pity. She's looking at me so I give her a fake smile. I'm normally not like this but Nadia is not my type. I'm sure she's nice but there's something about her that annoys me.

"Yeah that'll be fun" I say sarcastically and Hiccup almost spits out his wine. He coughs a couple of times and apologizes to Nadia.

"So Astrid, Heather tells me you're on a full scholarship to UCLA" Jerome says trying to get to know me. I turn my attention to him and away from Hiccup and his chick.

"Yeah I wouldn't be able to afford it without it" I say and sip my wine "where did you go to school?".

"Oh I went to the local community college in Springfield" I can feel Hiccup looking at us as Jerome and I talk.

"Wait Springfield Missouri?" I ask excitedly.

"Yeah" he replies and takes a bite of food "wait are you from Missouri?". His face lights up as I nod.

"Yeah St. Louis" I smile. My eyes notice Hiccup angrily eating his spaghetti. I've never tried to make a boy jealous on purpose, but for some reason I like seeing Hiccup like this.

"You do have that I'm tired of hearing about The Gateway Arch vibe" we laugh together making Hiccup eat his pasta faster.

"Is that really a thing in Missouri?" Hiccup speaks up and leans back in his chair.

"Is it a New York thing to be rude?" I ask him but before Hiccup can make a comeback with an even more sarcastic comment, Nadia speaks up.

"You know I'm from Mississippi so I also have that vibe" she smiles brightly and chuckles. Honestly, I don't get what Hiccup sees in her.

"Sure" I say and roll my eyes.

"She has that vibe more than Jerome" Hiccup whispers but I heard him. I kick his foot under the table and he makes a quiet ouch.

"So why are you in LA?" I ask Jerome trying to block Hiccup out.

"Actually I've always wanted to be an actor so I'm trying my luck" he says and I nod.

"That's so brave of you"

"Yeah but you know most people failed actors end up serving coffee" I hear Hiccup mumble and I kick him again.

"Hey" he says and puts down his fork.

"Hiccup may I speak with you for a minute" I say sternly and Hiccup almost falls off his chair in surprise. We get up and walk outside to get some privacy. As soon as we feel the fresh air I hit him.

"Ow, what was that for?!" He asks.

"That's for ruining my date" I say "what are you even doing here?". Not only does he interrupt my date he also insults the person I'm here with.

"You dragged me outside!" He yells.

"Not here, the restaurant. Couldn't you have taken miss Nada to another restaurant?" The people walking by us looks down and hurries to their cars.

"Well I just-" I can hear a bad excuse is on its way so I cut him off.

"I know Heather told you I was going on a date here" I say and he looks surprised. I nod and wait for him to defend himself.

"Okay" he starts "I tricked Heather into telling me what was going on and then I got jealous so I came here to make you jealous" he said truthfully.

"I'm-" now it's his turn to cut me off.

"If it wasn't for your no-dating-in-college rule I would've made my move" I don't know what to say. I know it's a douchebag move to reject Hiccup and then go on a blind date. If he only knew the reason why. If he only knew who I'm actually crazy about.

"Because has it not been for that rule" he continues and moves closer.

"I would've brought you flowers everyday. Googled all the best dining places in LA and taken you out to eat every single night. I would've made breakfast in bed before you had to go to class. And most importantly everyday I would ensure and show you how much you mean to me each and every day".

I couldn't say anything. It was as if all the words had been taken from my mouth. His fingers touched my arms and I got goosebumps. Every touched electrified me. And then within a second our lips met. No words needed to be spoken in the that moment. Everything was said with a kiss.

And there we have it the moment we've all been waiting for. When writing a story it's hard not to rush ones ship into a relationship right away. And I know my story had many flaws and unanswered questions but it's not about the writing it's about what's in between the lines.

Ever wonder why you're in this fandom? Because I have for years and I guess my answer is it's my way of escaping reality. To let go of all the worries, stress and let myself fall into a cloud of fantasy and HTTYD. So thank you so much for reading it means a lot to me❤️

Spoiler for next chapter:

"Screw my dumb rule"