Chapter 41: Quicksand

[Warning! This chapter involves a school shooting. Does this trigger you in any way please do not read]

I drop down on the floor. Hiding under a table like a prey hiding from the hunter. My heart was in my throat making it hard for me to breathe. With every breath I'm taking it feels like it doesn't contain any oxygen. I hold on to the legs of the table trying to hold myself grounded. Then I hear another gun shot.

More screams are coming from the outside. My classmates are sobbing and crying. I wish I could tell them everything is going to be okay but that would be an empty promise.
Then another gunshot.

I look to my left seeing one of my classmates hiding under a table next to me. He's practically hugging his backpack as he's sobbing. In between sobs I hear some muffled word, he's praying. And he's not the only one I'm praying in my mind that the intruder will ignore us.

"Everybody stay calm" I turn my head once again to my professor.

"Stay down. Go hide in the very back and grab something that can be used as a weapon" he says quietly to us "and don't say a word. No calls, no talking".

We all follow his instructions. As I tiptoe to the back of the room I take a look around to search for something that can be used as a weapon. Some of my classmates have a small bottle of mace or pepper spray. I just have my laptop which is the closest I got to a weapon.

I sit down with my other classmates behind the desks furthest from the door. My classmates are still crying and sobbing, some are also quietly texting their family. I wanted to do the same but I left my phone in my backpack so I can't even text my friends, family or Hiccup.

Hiccup. I woke up to an amazing day with an amazing man. She sun was as bright as my mood. Everything felt so idyllic like a painting from the romantic era but it ended like a horror movie.

"There's an intruder in UCLA's humanities building" I turn my head to see our professor on his phone. He's talking quietly to the police about our situation. The police is asking some questions and he answers them with his head low trying his best not to make too many sounds. He gives the police our location and I pray in my mind they'll get here fast.

"No, we have not located the intruder. All we know is that he is in the building and on our floor" Our professor is trying his best to stay calmly while still trying his best not to draw any attention.

"Yes I have-" He doesn't get to finish his next sentence before the loud bouldering sound of a bullet goes trough the air interrupting him mid sentence.

My heart beats faster and faster as the number of gunshots go up. Many of my classmates are pressing their hands against their ears as tears roll down their faces. I feel so trapped like a mouse just waiting to be eaten by a cat.

I can overhear the police telling my professor they're on their way and we all need to stay hidden.

"Okay" was his last word before hanging up. Now all we have to do is wait. A second has never felt so long. We're all anxious and trying our best not to breathe too heavily.

But it's hard when we hear a sixth gunshot. The girl next to me starts sobbing loudly. It makes a rush of panic run through my body.

"Shh" I try to calm her down. If the intruder heard we were in here we would all be dead. I pull her into a hug and I can feel her heartbeat.

"She's having a panic attack" I whisper quietly to my professor. He looks at me shocked and quietly crawls closer.

"Look at me" I tell my classmate. I begin to take some deep breaths hoping she'll do them with me. And she does in and out. Her sobbing ends after one last deep breath. She hugs me. Even though, we're not that close because in this room, in this moment we're all in this together.