Defense

Alby took me over to a wall that was close to one of the openings to the maze. As I came closer I recognised it was covered in names, I saw Minho, chuck, alby, gally, clint, jeff, Winston, ben, zart and some other names. Then I saw newt just thinking about him made me feel really guilty.

"Everyone in the glade has their name here" alby told
"Now it's your turn you're officially apart of the family" ably smiled
"Why do some names have a line through them" I questioned
Alby's face dropped "they were claimed by the maze"
"I'm sorry" I spoke how did so many manage to die I thought.
"Here" alby passed me a knife and a rock and he showed me how to carve my name in the wall.
I finished with my name i wrote it near minhos and above newts, alby took the knife from me and told me I should probably get something to eat so i did.

I got my food from fry and I made my way over to chuck who was chatting with some other gladers i didn't recognize any of them.
"Hey lara" chuck spoke "this is Carl, jack, Doug and nick." He pointed to the boys
"Hi" one of them said I replied with a smile and took a seat next to one of them. I started eating when I heard footsteps approaching me and saw chuck was staring at something behind me that's when I saw someone sit next to me and felt an arm go over my shoulders.
"How you doing gorgeous" he said
I looked at him in disgust who does he think he is and who the hell was he.

Another came over but sat across from me at the table. "How's you're stay been so far found anyone you like" he questioned. "If you're trying to hit on me it ain't going to work" I replied in annoyance
"We got a feisty one here boys" the one next to me howled
Lots of heads turned towards me and I saw Gally and his mates laughing thats when I realised Gally put these boys to the test, he sent them over here to mess with me. I got angry and became very sassy and sarcastic towards them hoping they would leave but they didn't I was about to give up until i heard his voice.

"Get your shucking butts out of here now before i bloody knock your nose sideways" newt appeared behind them.
Both of them tried to avoid eye contact with newt like when a dog gets told of they both raised of their seats and make a quick move to get out of there.
I turned towards newt and his eyes locked with mine, "are you alright" he spoke quietly
I nodded and newt made a move to leave but before he could I called his name he turned around "thankyou" I said. He smiled and walked away.
                                 ~

I did as Minho asked i went to his room and waited outside his door. It was a good 20 minutes  I was wondering where the hell he was he finally appeared and he told me to be quiet or we'll be done for.

He took me over me to a basement under homestead which was filled with weapons "what ya think" minho said pointing to all the weapons on the wall.
"Do you use all of these" I questioned
"Mostly" he replied
"Well what do you want to learn" he said while leaning against one of the pillars
"Erm well I don't really know" I replied
"So you're telling me you want me to teach you and you don't even know what you want to learn." Minho spoke
"Defense.......how to use a knife" I looked  at him
Minho rolled his eyes and pushed himself of the pillar to grab a pocket knife.
"This won't do much but there's always a starting point" he passed me the knife
Minho took a step back and signalled for me to take a jab towards him.
"What if I cut you" I questioned scared
"You won't" he replied bouncing on his feet

I took a few jabs with the knife and Minho either dodged them or blocked them with his arms, surprisingly he didn't get cut not once.
"Good now try hand in hand combat" minho had his hands raised
I placed the knife to one side and started jabbing Minho he dodged and took a hit towards me I blocked it.
I went to jab Minho but pinned my arms and took my legs out.
"What was that for" I called
"Pay attention push yourself harder" he replied
I got up and started being quicker with my jabs and then I faked a right and took a left, i grabbed minhos arm behind his back and pushed him face first on the floor. I then pinned him to the floor with me kneeling and holding his arms on his back.
I started laughing that I managed to get Minho laying flat faced on the floor oh i wish everyone could see this.

"Can you get off me you shank" he said in an angry tone
I lifted myself of him and he stood up wiping the dirt of his trousers. He gave me a light push and smirked at me "could have done better" he spoke
"Are you serious, I beat your ass" I said
"Whatever" minho spoke
"What now" he added
"Archery" I questioned
Minho pointed to a bow an some arrows, I picked them up and i stood next to Minho and on the other side of the room was a target on the wall.

I placed the bow comfortably in my hand and pulled out an arrow, I then lined up the arrow in the right direction where the target was and I let it fly. I landed dead in the centre and Minho looked impressed.
"Impressive what other talents are you hiding in that big head of yours"
"Haha very funny" I replied
Before Minho could make another sassy comment I heard footsteps from above.
"Do you hear that" I whispered
Minho looked at me and held a finger to his lips, we both looked up to see if we would find an answer to what it was
"Alby you let her be a runner" I heard a voice whisper  I knew straight away who it was...

Newt

"If that's the job she's best at theres no stopping it from happening" alby replied
"She doesn't know what she's getting herself into she doesn't know anything about the maze" newt argued
"Listen the job that best fits you is what you get don't think we'll change the rules just for a girl you have feelings for" alby raised his voice
Wait newt had feelings towards me?wait he has a crush on me aww I thought do I? I questioned myself
"Alby this once please do me a favour and make sure she doesn't end up as a runner I beg you" newt sounded hurt but i was furious that he would destroy my chances of becoming a runner.

"I won't make promises but I'll see what I can do" alby replied
No alby won't he can't, he would let newt make decisions for me. The voices disappeared so I assumed they went to bed I looked at Minho and he gave me a look that almost said 'told you wouldn't become a runner'
I just needed to get out of there I couldn't believe these kids were controlling my life and I was stuck under their command.
I left the basement leaving Minho with nothing to do or think and I made my way to the forest I'd rather sleep out there than in the same room with the guy who just completely ruined everything.

Author notice
I haven't had many people read my first fanfiction but I appreciate you reading if you see this and I hope you like it so if you want please leave a comment if it's good or not. By the way there might be spelling mistakes and I sometimes say realized and realised so sorry if I confused you.
Also something might happen between newt and lara soon🤭
Nara!