S3E4: Separated

The mutants' monster-like snarl reverberates through the air, sending chills down Sarah's spine. Debris continues to fall from the ceiling as the soarer rams all of its body weight into the side of this worn down hotel.
       The loud, terrifying noise attracts the attention of all of the deadly mutants in the surrounding area. Sarah continues to shut her ears from the repetitive high pitched racket. This sound is enough to make someone go deaf.
       Sarah covers her head from the falling rubble as scratches and bruises formulate on her body. It's painful, but she has to persevere. She wraps around the corner of the hallway and witnesses her group members' petrified faces.
       They're in shock as they look around with bewilderment. Some members exit their rooms and dash into the main lobby. Do they have a plan? Are they all still alive? What should we do? Sarah thinks to herself frantically as she feasts her eyes on a horrid image.
       Matthew, Chris, and Ryan desperately try to hold back the mutants by using the barricades as leverage. Their feet slide back from the creatures' immense power.
       The sharp claws of the crawlers reach around the barricades as a horde awaits behind them. They roar their demon-like presence amongst the group.
       "What the hell is going on? What's that sound?" Ricky asks while examining the nearly destroyed building.
       "Isn't that obvious dimwit? We're about to flipping die!" Simon says jokingly.
       Sarah rolls her eyes at Simon's comment. Even at a near death experience, Simon still has to turn everything into a joke. Why the hell would he say that? Has he given up? Should I talk back to him for a change? Sarah thinks to herself before returning to her harsh reality.
       "We have to leave this hotel immediately! It's on the verge of collapse!" Myracle yells across the room, catching the attention of a Chris and Ryan.
       Chris and Ryan leave their positions and dash towards the main group. The rest of the group makes their way towards the right side of the building. Ryan looks back and notices Matthew still struggling with holding back the mutants.
       "Matthew come on! We gotta move!" Ryan roars across the lobby.
       "You go on ahead. I'll buy you some time," Matthew says in between labored breaths.
       All the commotion draws Skyy into the conversation. She looks out into the lobby, and her eyes widen at the terrifying sight. The mutants are almost completely through. If Matthew doesn't move now, he's not going to make it.
       Despite all of their disagreements, Skyy can't help but care about Matthew. Without him, she'd be a nervous wreck. Why does he have to play hero all the time? Does he have something to prove? How will this redeem himself? Skyy thinks to herself as these troubled thoughts infiltrate her mind.
       Ricky notices her sudden change in attitude as she looks at Matthew who seems to be in danger. He can't help but grow weary from all of the sudden madness. Matthew's putting his life on the line to protect them.
       Ricky looks up to Matthew in a sense. He wants to be more like him. Why can't I go out of my way to protect my allies like that? Why couldn't I protect Jill? Should I try to be more like Matthew? Ricky thinks to himself while admiring his bravery from afar.
       "Matthew don't be an idiot. We need you! This won't prove anything," Ryan yells as the first crawler breaks through the barricades.
       Those words set a fire in Matthew as he dashes away from the failed barricade. The barricades hit the floor hard, unleashing the horde of the dehumanized creatures. It's like a sight from hell.
       Ryan and Chris run back over towards Matthew, protecting him from the stragglers as he sprints towards the group. Ryan remains shortly behind and leads Matthew under the archway that connects the rooms to the main lobby.
       Chris looks back at the group after finishing off the final straggler. His eyes widen in disbelief as he notices a large chunk of debris slowly begin to separate from the ceiling. He looks back down and locates Ryan to be directly under the impact zone.
       "Ryan watch out!" Chris calls out as the chunk of debris leans closer and closer off the edge.
       He can't lose anyone else. Let alone his best friend. If he doesn't make it past this collapse, he won't be the only person that meets their demise. Will I make it in time? Is this where it all ends? Will everyone be okay without me? Chris thinks to himself as he picks up the speed.
       The crawlers trail closely behind Chris like competitors at a track meet. He never did well in track. He would always lose speed right before the end of the race.
       Back then, before the outbreak, track would've just been something he tolerated. It ultimately led to failure and dissatisfaction, but now he has a fire that has finally been ignited. He won't live for himself. He will live for everyone else.
       Chris leaps towards Ryan just as the debris gives way. It's way too close to call. It could all end in the blink of an eye. He imagines the finish line as he clasps onto the collar of Ryan's shirt, sending him towards safety. They made it.
       Chris and Ryan groan in pain from the impact. Chris coughs as the dusts piles up from the collapse. He looks back at the rubble with a surprised expression. If he got caught under there, it would've been instant death.
       Suddenly, Chris can hear the muffled voices of the rest of his group members. He has a confused look displayed on his face as he looks around. There's no one else in sight. Just Ryan and a set of stairs.
       He looks back at the collapse and hears the muffled voices of Jeannie and Rosie. They sound so frantic, so worried. He can hear the distant murmurs of the others in the background. He sighs with relief at the sound of their voices.
       "Chris! Chris! Are you guys okay? Say something!" Rosie yells frantically, fear displayed in her tone.
       "Can you guys hear us?" Jess mumbles through the wreckage.
       Chris looks around. The only way he can possibly go is up the staircase. Everything else is blocked off. He can still hear the overwhelming roars of disapproval coming from the lobby. At least their cut off from any possible danger.
       "We're alright guys don't worry! Just a little bruised up," Chris says reassuringly.
       Everyone sighs with relief at the sound of Chris's voice. Most of the paranoia and stress finally vacates their minds. The only question is, how will they leave this godforsaken hotel?
       "Thank God you guys are alright, but how are we going to leave this hellhole?" Matthew asks curiously.
       "Why the hell are you such an inconsiderate tyrant all the time?" Simon teases Matthew.
       Despite all of the lively conversation beyond this belittling rubble, something doesn't feel right. How come Jeannie hasn't checked in with me yet? Is she hurt? Is she missing? Chris thinks to himself worriedly.
"Is Jeannie with you? I haven't heard from her," Chris says with concern.
"Yeah she's alright. She's just a bit shaken as to what just happened. She thought you got crushed," Tamara says a little too optimistically.
That one comment makes everyone go silent. Mostly Sarah from her previous experience with Tamara's bipolar attitude. Why did she say that in such a joyful way? Should I talk to her sooner than originally planned? Is there a way to fix her train of thought? Sarah thinks to herself curiously.
       "I'm sorry for not talking sooner Chris. I just thought I lost you," Jeannie says while overcome with emotion.
       Her voice sounds so defeated. She sounds so broken. It's like she saw a ghost. When can I let my guard down and become myself again? Why do I have to act serious all the time? Will I ever be able to let loose a little? Jeannie thinks to herself while trying to stabilize from the collapse.
       "We need to talk about a plan as to how we're going to meet up," Myracle says in a serious tone.
       "Yeah but how are we going to get around this horde in time?" Skyy asks curiously.
       The group is flabbergasted as the sound of hundreds of mutants fill their ears. They needed a plan. They need hope that simply wasn't there. They need to be together in order for this to work.
       "Wait! We could all try and find a way out of the hotel. We just a need a place to meet up," Chris says reassuringly.
       "But where should we meet up? We need an area that's somewhat safe in case someone doesn't get out right away," Rosie says defeatedly.
       Silence fell upon the group once again as they try not to breathe in the dust and dirt from the collapse of the dilapidated hotel. Everything has to line up perfectly in order for everyone to survive.
       "We can meet up on the corner of the street down the road from here. We'll just have to act fast," Ryan says while walking back and forth in the enclosed space.
       "Sounds like a plan. Are you guys alright with that?" Chris asks with a hopeful attitude.
       He can hear a couple of murmurs and whispers beyond this demeaning boulder-like rubble. Will I be able to see them again? Will they be alright without me? Will this plan work? Chris thinks to himself before Ryan forces him out of his thoughts.
       "They'll be fine Chris. They got your sisters to keep em safe," Ryan says with a warm smile.
       Chris nods in response while Ryan pats his back reassuringly. No matter what the task. No matter what the challenge. No matter how slim the chances are, they will survive.
       "Stay safe Chris. Please be careful. I know we'll stay in touch," Myracle says through the rubble before leading her side to find an exit.
       Chris can almost see the way Myracle forcibly drags his sisters away from the rubble. He imagines how neurotic his sisters must be as of right now. They must feel scared out of their minds.
       It's a reminder of how his home life used to feel like before this. It was hectic, but it was still his home. He misses it. He misses the vibe of the house. The way it made him feel. The way his family made him feel.
       He must persevere not for himself, but for his family. For Rosie, for Jeannie, and for his mother. He needs to survive for them. He longs for new memories with them where they're not living in a death trap.
       He can feel the blush rush over him as Myracle's words play on repeat in his head. Why am I blushing in this scenario? Does she feel the same way? Is this feeling just a fluke? It must be, right? Chris shakes away away his peculiar thoughts in order to adjust to his current situation.
       Chris notices the smug expression on Ryan's face. He noticed. He definitely noticed with that smirk he's showing. Chris mentally hides away in embarrassment, trying his absolute best of focus on the present.
       "At least we have a chance to talk without those fake people," Ryan says jokingly.
       Chris chuckles a little but quickly stops with realization as to what's about to occur. Ryan's about to bombard Chris with a multitude of questions regarding Myracle's arrival.
       An hour passes, and both friends continue to formulate a plan on their escape. They seem to be surrounded by mutants from all over. It seems hopeless. There's no way they can propel themselves down from the second floor safely without possibly hurting themselves.
       "Have you find anything yet?" Chris asks defeatedly.
       "Nope, but if you find a will to live or any self respect can you let me know?" Ryan says jokingly.
       Chris chuckles in response as he looks around the dining area. The place is in shambles. Vending machines are knocked over along with broken glass scattering the vicinity, there are broken tables and chairs, and there's even graffiti on the walls.
       Chris looks outside the shattered windows and is pleasantly surprised to only see about a dozen mutants down below. He looks at Ryan who also understands what they need to do.
       "This is by far the safest location that we've checked. Everywhere else is scattered with mutants or closed off," Chris says while admiring the ground below.
       "If only we had something to draw them away with and a rope to actually get down safely," Ryan exhales softly.
       They are stuck, but they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. They're definitely onto something. Where are we going to find that equipment? Would a hotel have something like that here? Will all the mutants be drawn by the sound? Chris ponders to himself curiously.
       "Maybe they'll have rope in a janitor's closet? Something along those lines?" Chris suggests with a hopeful tone.
       "It wouldn't hurt to check," Ryan says as they both exit the cafeteria.
       Walking down this dark hallway sends shivers down their spines. This hallway is absolutely empty, yet it holds so much danger and fear. There's no telling what could happen.
       Ryan constantly looks over his shoulders in paranoia as he walks down this ominous hallway. Can crawlers be up here? Is this place not as safe as we thought? Should I try and lighten the mood a little to distract us? Ryan thinks to himself.
       "So, what's the deal with Myracle?" Ryan asks curiously.
       Chris instantly eases up as he chuckles from Ryan's question. He has a smug expression displayed on his face while he eagerly awaits for an answer.
       "I knew that was coming. She's a great asset to the group which I appreciate. That's all," Chris says before avoiding eye contact.
       "Oh that's false and you know it! I totally saw your blush before. I don't blame you though, she is really attractive. I mean she's such a tsundere!" Ryan teases Chris, resulting in hysterical fits of laughter.
       "You watch way too much anime Ryan," Chris says while still recovering from his laughing fit
       Suddenly, Ryan stops short and gazes into the kitchen next to him. He quickly shifts into his serious self as he admires the items in the kitchen. His eyes light up once he sees an old timer.
       "We can use this to draw the mutants away!" Ryan says enthusiastically.
       "That's great! Now all we need is the rope and a stable place to set it down," Chris says before exiting the kitchen.
       Chris and Ryan continue down the hallway till they reach the final room. They open the door which has a whole display of equipment and tools. However, floor seems to be rotting away out from underneath.
       There's electrical boxes along with old cleaning supplies and worn down mops. The paint is peeling off the walls as old cables and concrete scatter along the floor. They start to dig through the rubble in attempt to look for a somewhat working rope.
       "Could we use the cables?" Chris asks curiously.
       "Not long enough. Plus it might be too thin," Ryan says while examining the floor thoroughly.
       "Yeah that's what I thought," Chris says while sighing in defeat.
       This grueling process of pushing away concrete and debris starts to become extremely tedious and demanding. Their bodies become sore while Chris's back aches from the constant bending. They're already exhausted from the lack of sleep as it is.
       Chris looks at Ryan who has this tenacious look in his eye. His mind seems to be racing a mile a minute as he digs through this rubble. Despite all the hardships, he still keeps a levelheaded mental attitude.
       Finally, Chris's eyes light up as all exhaustion fades. He jolts up with a rope in hand as he displays a cheerful expression. Ryan cheers along with him as the demanding labor is finally over with.
       "Now one of us has to set the timer and throw it on the opposite side of our exit," Ryan says optimistically before running off to start their escape.
       Back at the cafeteria, Ryan joins Chris as he eagerly waits on the balcony for any sudden movement from the crawlers. He has his eyes locked on the ground below. Once they vacate the premises, he'll be ready.
       "I'm back. We've got some time before the timer goes off," Ryan reveals as he puts his backpack back on.
       Chris nods in response as he gazes out into the night sky. He's tired. He's so tired yet at ease. The humid air seems to be unbearable, but after awhile, it's not as bad as you would think.
       Chris looks around this once civilized, functioning city while thinking about his mother's safe house. Is her base really all that safe? Is it just a matter of time before it gets take over by this cruel world? Are we wasting our time for no reason? Chris thinks to himself with a sulky expression displayed on his face.
       "You alright dude? You seem to be lost in thought?" Ryan asks worriedly.
       "What do you think about this supposed promise land that my mom talked about? It's like paradise, but it seems too good to be true," Chris says with a lack of confidence.
       "Well, judging from what I know about anime, this paradise might be severely flawed in this apocalyptic world," Ryan says jokingly, getting a chuckle from Chris.
       Despite this rather stressful journey, this has been the closest Chris has gotten to seeing a normal life. He's talking to Ryan like how he used to. They even still have things to laugh about.
       It's times like these where Chris wants to live. It's times like these where he can feel free again. Where he can let his guard down, or finally formulate a reason as to why to stay alive in this cruel world.
       This cruel world has made him realize so much more about his friendships. His relationships. He's taken all of the positive attributes in his life for granted. All of this support has made him into the person he is today.
       One thing that will never change, is Ryan's presence. Even in an apocalypse, Ryan is still here. Even during an emotional loss, Ryan is still here. Even during a stressful encounter, Ryan is still here. Ryan has been one of the sole reasons for Chris's determination
       Without his friends, without his family, without his passion, Chris wouldn't be alive. He would have no reason to be. As soon as that timer goes off, he will make it his underlying goal to keep his family and friends safe.
       Suddenly, all of the crawlers vacate the area below them and dash towards the muffled alarm sound in the distance. I can't believe that worked! Will this be enough to ensure our safety? Should we wait a little while longer? Ryan thinks to himself before getting interrupted by Chris's words.
       "Let's go! Stay close to me and don't hesitate out there," Chris says in a serious manner.
       Chris tightens the rope around a heavy object while scaling down the rope with Ryan trailing behind him. They move down the rope swiftly and safely until they finally reach the long desired ground. They dash towards the meet up location while evading all of the mutants in sight.
       Ryan admires Chris as he displays this tenacious and bold look in his eyes. He's in game mode right now. He's not ready to give up. He will never give up. As long as they have each other, they will always persevere.