Present And Future (Okita Sougo)

"Hey, Kondo-san, Toshi. Has anyone seen Sougo?" (Y/N) popped out from the door and into the room where Kondo and Hijikata were discussing a few things about their work. "No. But I think he's at the Yorozuya's place." Kondo says with a small smile.

"What? Gin's place...." She grumbled with a distressed look. "Hey, where are you going? What kind of doctor abandons her work in the middle of the day?" Hijikata calls out to her when she started walking away.

"Hmph. I have nothing better to do!" She stuck her tongue out at Hijikata and walked away. She wanted to go on and tease Okita again. It was her daily routine to tease the younger male which she secretly admired.

The first time she saw him, she knew she would fall for him. Her guess wasn't all that wrong, now the woman was head over heels for the Shinsengumi Captain, but her pride wouldn't allow her to confess out of nowhere like a school girl in those romatic animes.

She was going to take it slow and steady, start with something small— like teasing him. When (Y/N) passed by the bridge she noticed two familiar figures down by the riverside.

"Hm? What is that?" She leaned closer on the railings and squinted her eyes at the figure. Then she saw Okita and Kagura fighting. (Y/N) exhaled through her nose with a small huff, leaning her chin against her palm her eyes locked on Kagura's face as she fought it off with Okita.

"Come to think of it...Kagura-chan's always with Sougo. Although they fight whenever they meet..." She hums and then she gasped, "They do say the more you hate the more you love! Sougo always goes out of his way to annoy her too— don't tell me?!" She cut herself off with a shocked expression— her mind imagining various reasons.

"He likes her?...." She furrowed her eyebrows, feeling her heart churn at the very thought of it. She placed her palm on her chest and rubbed it, trying to ease the pain. "This....isn't good for my heart." She sighed as she turned around, and then she met Gintoki's red dead orbs.

"Ugh, ew. You're so ugly." (Y/N) scrunched her nose in disgust as Gintoki gaped, feeling offended. "Hey! You're so rude to someone you know! Shouldn't you be greeting me happily!?" Gintoki huffed as (Y/N) glared at him.

"No. I would never. Wait— Gin," An idea popped into her head. She tugged on his white kimono making the male turn to her. "Is Kagura-chan...dating Sougo?" She suddenly asked, a small light of hope creeping into her heart.

'Y-Yeah! Maybe I'm overthinking things. I need to gather information first!' (Y/N) thought as she nodded to herself. Gintoki eyed her suspiciously, before he sighed and crossed his arms.

"As if I'd let that sadist date her. He'd have to go through me or her other father before he dates her!" Gintoki confidently says as (Y/N) smiles. "That's right! He definitely has to right? They can't possibly be dating out of the blue! Ahahahaha!" (Y/N) laughs, happily patting Gintoki's shoulder as she walked away.

"She's...still as weird as ever." Gintoki smiled lowly as he shook his head and walked away.

Unknown to the two, Okita spotted (Y/N)'s figure at the bridge— his eyes narrowed when he saw her talking with Gintoki. Somehow, whenever she's near, he would always feel it.

It was like a connection— he'd always spot her even if she's in a sea of people, he'd always hear her voice amongst the bustling noise, he'd always know when she's near him.

Because he loves her.

Love was something foreign to Okita so he didn't know how to deal with it. He was a prideful man as well, but he didn't know that she loved him too.