You Can Rest Now (Oboro)

"Shoyo...He's just a kid." (Y/N) tugged on Shoyo's sleeve. Pointing to the small grey haired kid who was half dead, lying in front of them. "I know..I'm the cause of all this." Shoyo looked down with a sad gaze as he kneeled down, and slit his arm. Letting his blood drop unto the half dead kid.

"Please wake up..." (Y/N) placed her hands together in a praying position, sitting right beside Shoyo. She felt pity for the small boy, he was just around her age after all. Yet, he had more taken from him at such a young age.

Slowly, the boy's eyes opened. He caught a glimpse of the (H/C) haired child and the brown-grey haired man watching over him, before he lost consciousness once more.

"My name is (Last Name) (First Name)! What's yours?" She had kindly smiled at him, extending her hands for a friendly shake. Oboro didn't want to. He eyed her for a while before he turned his gaze away from her.

"I'm Yoshida Shoyo." Shoyo smiles softly at him, (Y/N) pouting a little bit because he'd been so unfriendly to them. "What's your name?" Shoyo asked again, they waited for a long while before Oboro glanced at them.

"Oboro."

That was the start of their newly found lives. Shoyo lived with the two, (Y/N) and Oboro. However, life wasn't all that easy for them. Shoyo was still being tracked down by the Naraku. So they had to move from place to place every once in a while.

Oboro had grown fond of (Y/N). She was his light in this darkness he called life. But he also knew— that she was a living lie on borrowed time. An angel, he couldn't touch even if he did everything he could.

That time soon came. The Naraku had found them, although Shoyo laid traps— he couldn't rest assured. At that night, Oboro made a decision that changed his life.

Oboro glanced at (Y/N) and at Shoyo with a fond look in his once cold eyes. "(Y/N), I love you...For you, I'm willing to sacrifice my own life. So...please, be happy and free." He murmurs lowly, as he planted a gentle kiss on her forehead.

After that, he grabbed a sword and went out. That was the last they had seen of him. In the morning (Y/N) heard from Shoyo that Oboro had died under a rubble of rock that he caused to let Shoyo and (Y/N) escape.

The tears (Y/N) shed that day, had left an huge void in her heart. She swore to never forget what Oboro had done for her and Shoyo.

(Y/N) never forgot about Oboro. He was someone who had a permanent place in her heart. After that, Shoyo had started the Shoka Sonjuku. (Y/N) had a lot of friends by her side, Gintoki, Takasugi, and Katsura. She was happy— but not truly.

She knew what would truly make her happy was by being at Oboro's side.

(Y/N) followed behind Shoyo, as they walked near the fields. Gintoki, Takasugi and Katsura had started another meaningless fight and Shoyo was scolding them. (Y/N) smiled as she watched them from behind.

Then, she felt it. Someone passed by her. With the faintest voice she had ever heard. It was him she knew it. It just had to be. (Y/N) turned her neck around but found no one. Her eyes widening with tears brimming it.

Those words weren't wordless whispers from a ghost. She was certain that it was his voice. But she remembered what he had said, as clear as day.

"I'm happy..that you are alive and well."