Fake Love (Hijikata Toshiro)

(So uh, this is the songfic request. Let's all pretend that Okita Mitsuba didn't die guys!)

-----------

For you I could pretend I was happy, I could hide away the sorrows.

(Y/N) saw Hijikata as she passed by Kondo's room. They were talking with Mitsuba and Okita. She saw Hijikata's eyes with a light she had never seen before. He truly was happy with Mitsuba and not her. It wasn't her— It was never her. It will never be her in his eyes.

(Y/N) clenched her fist, feeling that disgusting emotion called jealousy bubble up inside her. Why was he even dating her when he was clearly still in love with Mitsuba?

Suddenly, Hijikata caught her eyes and he raised his hand. "(Y/N)! Come join us." He offered but she quickly forced a smile on her lips. "Sorry, I'd love to but I have to buy some medicine." She mutters an apology quickly before she ran out.

For you I could feign strength, numb the pain, and be the girl you can depend on.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)! WAKE UP!!" Hijikata's fists banged loudly on the door of her room, it was already midnight. "Toshi....What?" The second she opened her door Hijikata rushed in with Mitsuba in his arms.

"She passed out! (Y/N), please help her!" Hijikata was frantic and worried. (Y/N) stood still at the door, stunned by what had just happened. Did her boyfriend really just come in with the woman he loved?

"She's running a fever. I gave her the medicine she needed, she'll be fine if she gets plenty of rest." (Y/N) says as she plopped down on a chair with an exhausted sigh.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)." Hijikata muttered apologetically to her as he placed his hand on top of hers. "It's fine." She smiles wryly at Hijikata. "You...won't ask why I was with her?"

(Y/N) shut her eyes, as she let out a soft sigh. "I'm tired," She mumbled, pretending she didn't hear what Hijikata was saying. "I love you." Hijikata places a soft kiss on her temple.

'Is that really the case, Toshi?...' (Y/N) thought in her mind. Her thoughts were a mess but she did her best to not let it show. She thought she was strong enough for Hijikata to depend on, but it seems that wasn't how Hijikata saw it. So she pretends not to see even when it's shoved right in her face.

I'm wishing lovin was perfect, I'm praying. you don't realize deep inside that I'm broken

"Are you alright?" Hijikata placed his hand on her back. (Y/N) snapped out of her trail of thoughts to see Hijikata's steel blue orbs gazing at her worriedly.

"O-Oh! Right...sorry," She looked down at the cup of tea in her hands with a soft sigh barely audible. "What's up with you? You've been spacing out a lot these days." Hijikata says as she went quiet.

"Just thinking," She shrugged it off. She was actually debating. Had Hijikata already noticed how much of a mess she was thinking about him and Mitsuba? Or if he didn't, would he soon find out knowing that he easily could tell when she was spacing out.

"About what?" His words got her thinking again, anymore and she could've drowned in her own thoughts. "About job! There have been a lot of patients recently! Ahahaha." She covered up with a fake smile.