31. Gone

Rhyett's Point of View

"So that's where all the money comes from." I sat on my couch drinking coffee as he sat beside me. My body fully facing him with my one leg folded beneath my and the other hung off the couch.

"Yeah. I'm not proud of it, I didn't really want anything from him. But he owes me." Maverick brought his lips up to his cup to have the hot coffee greet it.

I stared at the side of his face as he drank, both of his feet were resting on the ground while he used his elbows to press against his thighs to hold him up.

Today was a weird one. It was the day after we had sex and it felt surreal to be sitting with him again, for him to be here and for us to be this close. I never wanted to experience life without him again,

And hopefully I never do...

And on that note, there's a few things I need to tell him. I want to be honest with him and not hide things anymore so I think it was time to be open.

"Hey...I need to tell you something." I said clearing my throat, shifting uncomfortably.

"You and Nixon are friends? I know that." He nodded smiling at me,

That is one of the things I wanted to bring up but mainly I wanted to tell him about my encounter with Jack. I had nothing to hide but I'd rather tell him before he finds out and thinks I was hiding shit again.

"That's one of the things I wanted to bring up, but while we're on that topic. How do you feel about it? Like are you okay with it?" I was nervous what if he wasn't, I don't want to choose between Maverick and Nix. He was my friend now and I care for him,

a little.

He sat upright and then was silent for a moment, he twisted to face me which only made me more nervous than I already was. He swallowed before talking.

"I-" he shook his head. "Look, whatever happens between my brother and I...that's our fight, our business and our issues. It has nothing to do with you." He took a sip from his cup "he is being good to you, and your friendship with him is your choice. I will never tell you who you can and can't be friends with." He was serious "but if he hurts you in anyway I'm going to kill him." He didn't show any emotion on his face.

"I know." I said playfully and then he smiled small, almost unnoticeable.

"Rhyett, I have something to tell you too and you're not going to like it." He spoke almost shamefully as he put his cup down onto my coffee table.

Oh no.
He slept with someone else. I could tell. I can feel it. He's going to tell me that he slept with someone.

I don't think I'm ready for this.

I had to stall to prevent my heart from breaking.

"I have more to tell you." I said trying to bring up Jack again.

"No, please." He nodded bringing his hands to rest on my thigh as he stared into my blue eyes as if he was searching for a glimmer of something. I didn't know what he was looking for but his eyes drove deep. "I need to tell you this! Please I can't deal with the feeling of it looming over me. I need to tell you, because you deserve to know."

"You slept with someone else?" I said it straight out, wishing I could take it back because I didn't want to know.

"Fuck! No!" He cocked his back in shock "I didn't fuck anyone else." He exhaled "damn, girl."

I felt my heart deflate from anxiousness "then what?"

"I-" he licked the corner of his mouth nervously and then shook his head and looked away from me "well, she..." he continued.