9. Comfort Between Friends

Maverick's Point of View

I was fucking shitting myself and honestly, tonight did not go as planned. Why couldn't we just get drunk and go home, like normal people. Fuck.

I blame the coven, I blame my father.

I stepped foot inside of her once dark but now light apartment as I had followed her in.

She was quiet, in fact she didn't say a word during the entire trip home and left me to explain and do all of the talking. I couldn't blame her, her whole world was different now and would never be the same again.

"You want anything to drink?" she asked dryly as she threw her apartment keys onto the her decorative table.

"No," I said and then glanced around her living room. It felt cozy in here. I glanced around to see her things laying about and had never realized how messy she was. Her apartment seemed a lot cleaner from the view of mine.

The pink bicycle. I remember that.

"Your apartment seems different in real life." I added as I had noticed a black cat strolling out from the creek of her bedroom door.

She immediately walked towards me and began to pur as she rubbed her head against my leg. I knew she was a female cat and not a male. I could feel her energy.

Rhyett watched her cat and then laughed in an almost pissed off manner "black cat, witch..makes sense." She seemed annoyed as she walked into her kitchen and began to pour herself a glass of red wine.

"Do you want to talk about this?" I asked not knowing how to approach the situation.

I sat down on her couch not waiting for her permission as she grabbed her glass and said "I wouldn't have you over if I didn't want to talk Maverick."

Chill with the attitude sweetheart. I saved you from the insanity effect that black magic has on humans. You owe me some respect.

"So you're a witch with magical fire powers and your real name's Luca Delgado." She said remembering the information from what I had told her on our car ride here.

She breathed deeply still trying to fathom this and then climbed up onto her round breakfast table, sitting herself down flat on the surface as she had faced me,

She took a sip. "You speak Spanish?" She asked as she swallowed and then kept staring at me, what a fucking weird question to ask due to the circumstances but this made me smile small.

"Si." I smirked and then she smiled as she narrowed her eyes and then I laughed "I'm playing, I haven't spoken or practiced Spanish in years and I'm rusty as fuck. My mother, she speaks Spanish fluently but me, nah." I pushed myself back onto her couch as I exhaled deeply putting both of my hands behind my head as I let it rest on them, still sitting upright. She was quiet again.

I stared at her. "You okay?" I asked her seriously and then I saw tears sit in her eyes but she was trying to fight it and prevent them from showing.

She was okay for a moment and now she wasn't. I guess we all deal with things differently.

"Hey," I said in a concerning manner as I lifted myself up to give her my full attention "I'm sorry for all of this, it was never my intention to bring you or any other human into this world and if I can-"

"M-Maverick, I can't-" she said and then gently placed the wine glass down onto the table beside her as she used her hands to cover her face because she had begun to cry.

Shit! I didn't expect this and it was horrible to witness.

"Don't please." I looked down at my feet, because I couldn't stand to watch her cry.