27. The Secret Keepers Society

Rhyett's Point of View

I walked beside him on the sidewalk as the street lights lit up the town, it was truly magical seeing fairy lights twist around all of the trees in Harton Point.

The town was so alive buzzing with laughter in the midst of the cool but warm air floating around us.

Our feet stepped with normal walking pace as he was a little closer to me than an arms length away.

"So your boyfriends going to NYU, what about you, wouldn't you want to go to NYU too?" Jack placed his beer bottle into the trash can and then placed my empty milkshake glass onto a bench until he came back to collect it later.

He strolled beside me making small talk to prevent an awkward silence between us, we were of course still strangers. He then placed his hands into the pocket of his hoody that was placed a crossed his abdomen area.

I glanced to look at him for a moment and then laughed lightly shaking my head. "I don't think my grades are good enough for NYU, I'm an average student. Maverick's the smart one." I said tucking my hair behind my ear as I stared in front of me thinking about Mavs, as I noticed the first star in the sky appear.

I took it as a sign. A sign to what?
I wasn't sure either.

"Maverick?" He spoke "that's his name?" He asked and then I nodded "yeah."

"Jack!" We both got pulled from our conversation as I eyes watched a little boy run up to him on the sidewalk, crashing into him as if Jack was a soft wall made of marshmallow.

He was not, I could tell that he was pure muscle and strength.

Jack caught him and then said "Hey kid!" As he stopped walking to spin the little boy around, and then placed him back onto his feet as I stopped to watch them interact and partially wait for Jack.

He roughed his hair. "What you doing out this late? Yo, your moms going to kill you." He smiled and then the boy laughed "No it's okay, my moms across the road we helping to cleaning up the town for the founders pageant tomorrow!" He seemed excited as jack glanced across the road at the adults sweeping and collecting decorations "Hey, Jeanine!" He raised his voice lightly and then pulled his one hand out of his pocket to wave at the woman across the street from us and then she smiled.

"Hey Jack! Is he annoying you?" She seemed concerned "Travis! Come on! I told you to say on this side of the road!" She was a cautious mother.

"No! No!" Jack laughed "he's cool, don't stress Jeanine. Your kid's safe with me."

"I know!" She smiled warmly and then Travis began to ramble "hey jack, tomorrow can you teach me how to play football again, my friends and I want to-" he said his last words slowly as he noticed me standing besides Jack and then got shy as he became completely silent, almost wanting to hide behind Jack.

How adorable. I smiled.

"Kid, this is my friend Rhyett. She's lives in the city. Say hi to her." Jack spoke sweetly and then Travis slowly walked behind jack as jack laughed and then Travis said "Hi, you look like the little mermaid." Travis had spoken to me, still being extremely shy.

And then I thought of Maverick who called me Ariel.

"Hi." I said kindly with a smile "I've been told." I laughed under my breath "So Jack's teaching you how to play football?" I asked him and then he got excited stepping out from behind Jack.

"Yeah! It's really fun. I've been to all of his games he's really good. You should see him go!" He squealed. "So Jack tomorrow can we practice! Please! Please!"