10. I Got You

Rhyett's Point of View

I sat on the tall backless lab stool as I stared down at the dead frog in front of me laying on the dissection tray that had rested on my white desk in the biology lab.

I wanted to stay home today because this weekend was a lot to process and take in. Maverick was over at least twice yesterday to bring me leftovers from Chang's, to check up on me and to stay for an hour or two to watch an episode of the Bachelor with me to which was nice because he hated romantic reality TV shows but I had noticed a glimmer of excitement in his eyes when it came to the rose ceremony. I knew he was secretly rooting for Hannah Ann. But would never admit to any of this. I smiled thinking this.

I haven't really been answering any calls or texts and had hardly spoken to Xander but I just wanted to accept that Maverick was a witch with fire powers and get over it by showing up to school today and reconnecting with Xan who had texted me that he missed me at least 4 times after the penthouse party at Beth's.

Today was a new day and I just wanted things to get back to normal, as normal as I could hope for it to be.

"As you know Mr Kane will be off sick for the week and I will be your sub, Mrs Juniper." My eyes had been pulled from the dead frog on my desk to give our substitute teacher my full attention. She was brunette, beautiful, didn't look a day over 35, she wore spectacles and had a warm smile.

This class is going to eat her alive.

"Can I get your number beautiful?" I heard Trevor the class clown yell from the back as he nudged his chin at her and then she smiled thinly.

"Can you even spell the word number?" She fired back, causing the class burst out in laughter as the classroom door swung open widely.

"Oh my god." I heard Hayley in the front row whisper to her friend Natalia as Nat replied with a "I know right, so hot!" I watched her mouth her words as Maverick strolled into our class as if he wasn't late at all.

All eyes on him.

"Mr Kane. You do something new to your hair?" He smirked and then Mrs Juniper smiled thinly "Mr Novak I'm assuming." She paused "The one who's always late. I've heard about you. Find a seat." She said seriously and then he smirked as all the girls had stared at him as if he was our lord and savior.

Around school he was the guy everyone wanted to date, him and Xander. But Xander was the jock and Maverick was the mean, sarcastic one with a hint of mystery. They knew him on the surface but I knew that he was caring, and kind and considerate,

And that he was rooting for Hannah Ann.

He shook his head lightly, smiling, noticing how all the girls were swooning over him and then he pulled up a chair next me, making himself my official lab partner.

"Hey." I heard him say as he took the box of cigarettes out of jeans pocket and tossed it into the front of his bag. "How you doing? You okay?" He zipped it close.

I turned to face him while Mrs Juniper had begin to write notes onto the white bored.

"I'm good." I smiled and honestly I was good, I mean I had nightmares about Nixon but Maverick had explained that nightmares would be apart of the minor side effects caused by black magic, but I was okay. They were only dreams.

"You sure?" He asked curiously and then I nodded before picking up a pen and taking out my biology notebook to start writing because I didn't want to be behind on the notes.

He then reached across to snatch the pen from my hand and then said "I got you a gift." As he placed the pen behind his ear and then reached into his pocket to pull out a sliver chain necklace with a sliver pedant to match. The pendant was round and engraved with tiny musical notes.