Chapter 131

"You're welcome! Just take it for granted. Anyway, let me get back to the main point... Why doesn't Iric attend the martial arts contest? I think you could win the awards with your excellent skills. Let me ask my father to prepare wonderful awards for the top winners."

Marianne leaned her head slightly and laughed. As her smile was so lovely, Iric also laughed.

If he extended his arms, he would barely touch her. But that was the closest possible distance between him and her where he could block someone wielding a sword or an incoming arrow. That distance was what he could hope for the most. That was his allowed space, where he could not run away, retreat from, or come close to her.

"I'm fine as long as I can protect my lady with this sword. I don't need anything else."

"You integrity is too excessive. It's not good for you to stay away from worldly desires or desire for honor. I think you're fully qualified for the contest. The emperor has also given me the power to pardon one crime."

"... Pardon?"

"Oh, um... Well, I originally received it, but the emperor said he would forgive you even if you curse him behind his back."

While Marianne was thinking of what to say next. Iric frowned a bit.

"How dare I commit such a disrespectful crime against the emperor?"

"Oh, as you are good, there is no chance you will... But just receive it. Who knows, you might need it in the future. Anyway, take it. You may not need it now, but you never know. Who knows you if will hand it down to your offspring without using it in your life?"

Although Iric made an expression as if he could still not understand, he agreed by nodding.

Marianne took pains to erase Eckart's face from her mind, which naturally came to mind because she mentioned a pardon.

She tried to erase her memories of the Adenium pot over there, her father's awkward voice, and Mrs. Chester's smiles.

Instead, she pulled Iric's arm while beckoning Cordelli.

"Let's walk until they plant all the flowers. I promised to tell you what happened in Roshan, didn't I? There is a very cute apprentice priest..."

* * *

"Your Majesty, could you do me a favor?"

Someone's clear voice broke the silence in the parlor.

"Favor?"

"Yes."

Eckart put the fork next to the steak slices that Kloud cut into fine shreds. That meant he wanted to stop eating for a while.

In fact, he had a bad appetite. If he could have his own way, he just wanted to drink several cups of tea. But he was served a table with lots of delicious food because of a visitor who suddenly came to see him.

Eckart wanted to have lunch lightly, as usual, he was bothered by Kloud, who was monitoring if he could empty his plate. Besides, he couldn't finish eating too early because he had a guest. His guest couldn't continue to eat while the emperor was done.

Fortunately, however, his guest opened his mouth, ready to reel off a long story. Eckart could buy some time thanks to his interruption.

"I see. That's why you asked me to have lunch together."

"If you say that, I'm afraid I'm going to be called a very cunning person."

"Oh, I can find out if you're cunning or not when I hear what you're going to tell me. Tell me first what you want to ask me for."