Chapter 109

"Okay. Anyway, I kept you waiting outside... I waited for you in vain, so I handled urgent affairs first before coming back."

"Oh, really? I didn't see you coming back."

"It's because you went in and out of the first floor, while I went in and out of the second floor. Do you think there is only one door in this spacious study?"

There were a few more doors, as he said, but Ober didn't believe it at all.

Not only around Eckart's desk, but anywhere in his study, Ober could not find any evidence of his bustling movement in a short time. He smelled a rat because Eckart first pointed out he came late and that Kloud abruptly interrupted them.

Ober thought that Eckart had been blatantly watching his actions while sitting here in his study.

He must have instructed the servant something in advance, waiting for Ober to go back in a fit of anger until his patience ran out. And then right at the moment he turned, Eckart called him to his study.

"So, why did you call me?"

"Don't you remember I told you I would repay my debt of gratitude to you?"

Asking him casually, he picked up a teacup on the desk.

"I was agonized over what kind of award to give you. Everybody in the capital knows you're very picky. As you grew up, seeing and possessing only the best stuff, I wouldn't be able to save my face if I gave you an ordinary gift."

Ober looked at him without replying. He didn't even show any indication that he would gladly receive any gift from the emperor.

"So I decided to give you what only I can give."

Eckart did not point out his rudeness. Instead, he emptied the teacup and put it down. The medicine that smelled of grass went down on his throat with the fragrance of dark flower tea.

"You must have heard of the incident at Roshan. It was very terrible."

His low voice pressed down on his heart heavily. When he stopped speaking on and off, his intense anger shone like a flame.

"Although the cardinal said it was a trial that God gave me to prepare a miracle, I am only a human. You might not even imagine how painful it was when my flesh and bones were torn."

Ober found a lump of emotions that were hard to describe in writing in his blue eyes and low voice. It was like a terrible horror, or his true feelings with a murderous spirit.

Ober suddenly questioned his character.

'When did the emperor start to express his feelings in this way?'

Even if the scheduled cabinet meetings were cancelled without any reason, or when he incited provincial mayors to ignore his edicts, Eckart never showed his anger. When he realized that acknowledging his weaknesses could be abused by his opponents, he did not cry even at the funerals of the late emperor and empress.

Ober couldn't understand at all why this same person was now kindly talking about his defeat and tragedy.

"Many people left behind in the capital prayed for you and Lady Marianne's safe return, expressing their concern about your safety. I am sorry that I could not help you out in that turmoil."

"Wow, you are an excellent example of a loyal servant. I understand why the late emperor valued you, Chester."

As Ober tried to make plausible excuses, Eckart mocked him with feigned flattery. He even faintly smiled at Ober.

"Your mother also told me she thought there seemed to be people involved and people responsible for the accident, but she said it was difficult to conclude clearly."