Chapter 17

It was obvious why the emperor came to visit her after disguising himself as his own representative.

In any case, it was good for her because she could skip the complicated procedures and quickly proceed with the deal. Of course, she didn't like his sudden proposal right before her eyes.

"I, Marianne and the daughter of Duke Kling, gladly accept your proposal."

She bowed slightly, trying not to tremble at all. She felt her heart beating fast when she put her hands on her chest in accordance with the established practices.

Clap, clap, clap. Awkward clapping came out from the opposite side. The man who clapped his hands was Colin.

Eckart raised his body and returned to his seat, clicking his tongue.

"Colin. I wonder whether you clapped hands as if you were the witness to my proposal."

"Pardon? Well, this is your first proposal..."

"Sir Colin, are you kidding me?"

"Oh no... Sorry..."

Colin put down his hands, trying to make poor excuses. He cast down his glance like a dog whose snack was taken away. She felt sorry for his embarrassed look.

Not caring at all though, Eckart crossed his legs after sitting back on the sofa.

"I'm sorry, I don't have flowers or jewelry right now. Let me give you a gift soon."

"That's too extravagant as a token of your taking me hostage."

"Well, because there are lots of people who will be watching us in the future. Didn't you ask me first to observe basic manners and decorum?"

"That's not only for me but also for you."

Eckart twisted his mouth at her response. Watching them waging a war of nerves like that, Colin bit his lip, rolling his red eyes. It was a too calculated and rigid an atmosphere for a couple who just proposed to each other a moment ago.

"Let's get to the point now."

"Well, I would like to start off by asking for your help in several things. Can you help me?"

As if to say it was okay, Eckart raised his sharp chin.

"I want you to clearly understand that my intention has not been reflected in this marriage at all," she said, shining her green eyes. Eckart frowned a bit at that.

"Do you want me to play the villain?"

"Well, heroes are misunderstood and go through trials by nature. In this manner, they can develop the strength to defeat the enemy."

Eckart laughed as if her remarks were ridiculous. How could a naive daughter of a duke dare to teach the emperor?

He had to scold her for her rudeness, even though she was his partner in the deal.

Her innocent rudeness to a representative of the emperor and her intentional rudeness to the emperor were completely different.

But even before Eckart pointed it out, she stepped in all of a sudden.

"Although I hate him terribly, I think it's a waste to throw away my good weapon as his lover right away. If I still pretend to be affectionate for him, I think I can obtain one more secret tip about him. Of course, he will find out my feigned love in no time. Anyway, you need lots of intelligence about him."

"Aren't you scared if Ober, betrayed by your love, sends an assassin to your bedroom?"

"Well, sort of. If Ober feels impatient, he will try to harm not only me but my father as well. You will be hurt, too, if that happens. For that reason, let me assume that I am forcibly engaged by your coercion. Would you agree?"