Chapter 3

In fact, she wounded her finger in the winter when she was 22. While she was crying, holding her dead father's coffin, her finger was scratched by a nail that protruded from it and bled a lot. Luckily, her family doctor Laeneek, who was at the funeral, gave her first aid. But the ugly scar on that finger couldn't be removed.

"If you had your finger hurt in the summer or if you had tetanus, you probably would've had to cut your finger. I am so glad that your finger looks okay. Since the wound is hardly visible, don't worry too much," Codelli said. She could vividly recall Codelli's voice who said so on the day when the doctor removed her bandage.

And the wound was still there on the same spot in the same shape as if to prove that her 23 years of life was not a dream.

At that moment, someone knocked on the door.

"Lady, it's Hugo."

The person who knocked was Hugo, he butler of the house.

She hurriedly hid her hand and looked out the window like a child caught stealing something.

"Come in."

When she okayed, Hugo opened the door politely and showed his manners. He seemed too young to be the butler of her house, but he was more capable than any of the other servants in the house and won her father's absolute trust. His sharp character and perfect attention to details could be confirmed by looking at his swept hair and tight shirt collar.

"What's the matter?"

"I've got a message for you."

"Message?"

When Marianne asked, Hugo answered in a polite tone.

"It looks like Duke Kling will come home soon. Originally, he was supposed to be back tomorrow afternoon, but he has adjusted his schedule a bit."

"My father is coming now?" she asked in a trembling voice.

When she walked out of the bathroom, she asked Cordelli about where her father was.

Though her father left the mansion because of his inspection, she was told that he would return soon. Although she could not see him right before her eyes, she could believe the premise that his father was alive.

In particular, Hugo's statement that her father would be here soon was clearly different from a vague answer that he was somewhere.

"Yes. he will probably arrive in about an hour."

"I have to go out. I want to go out and wait for him."

She was about to run out to the gate when Hugo stood in front of her gently.

As if she had read Hugo's mind, Cordelli spoke as she returned to the room, "If you go out in a dress like that and get exposed to the cold air, Hugo and I could be fired today,"

"You still have some more time. You won't be late even after you get dressed up first."

She looked down at her body. Since she just came into her bedroom out of the bathroom, all she put on was loose silk pajamas and a thin gown for indoor wear.

"Got it. Let me get ready soon after changing clothes."

"Let me tell the chief maid and help you prepare".

"Don't do that. Mrs. Icell might be absent-minded with lots of other stuff because my father is suddenly coming back. That's why you're here, Hugo, right?"

"I'm sorry."

As if he was caught off guard, Hugo bowed politely and went out.

Cordelli put a tea tray on the table and looked impressed.