Chapter 23

When Iric stepped back, the upper part of his right arm was torn unsightly. A red line was drawn over its tight muscles. It wasn't deep, but it was a bloody sore wound.

"Iric? "

"Are you okay, Lady?"

"I'm fine, Iric, but your arm..."

"Fine."

Iric replied kindly to her as if to comfort her who was surprised. She didn't understand his answer. And she couldn't believe what just happened before her eyes.

She did not want to understand it either.

A moment ago, the emperor threw the sword at her without any hesitation.

"Do you think that giving up your life easily is a sign of loyalty?"

Eckart did not bat an eyelash despite his risky actions. He calmly motioned the knights out of the room.

"You can't protect anyone with a broken sword. Instead of thinking about dying for somebody, think about living together."

"I will keep it in mind, Your Excellency," Iric replied in a calm voice.

After looking at Iric for a while, Eckart walked by her.

"Your Excellency!"

Marianne called him, but he did not stop and look at her. His destination was a wooden showcase filling the back wall behind her.

After taking out the sword stuck on the wall of the right side of the showcase, somebody grabbed him by the collar roughly.

"Don't you think this test is too harsh?" she asked, hiding her trembling voice.

Her emerald-like pupils were moistened with tears. But she didn't look sad.

Rather, her voice was sharp as she tried to calm down her anger.

"Duke Kling's daughter!" Eckart said, turing toward Marianne.

"The battlefield you have to survive in the future is not a fake threat like this."

He put the sword back in the sheath whose blade was slightly broken when it smashed the wooden wall. The distinctive sound of the metal raised everyone's alertness.

"I cannot leave your safety with someone like him who is not competent enough.

Trust does not guarantee your life on the battlefield."

Trust, love, hope were all flash, and of no substance to him.

Eckart was no longer deceived by vain feelings. It was not love and trust that he relied on.

Rather it was wealth and power, information and doubt, sometimes hypocrisy and falsehood that he trusted.

"There is no guarantee that a knight like him will always stand by you."

Eckart gave the sword back to Iric. Iric politely received the sworded with both hands.

"Like you said, Milan will soon turn into a battlefield. In an actual battle, you can't use vague trust or innocence as a weapon. Little mistakes can lead to death, and blind swords don't take care of your life. You have to pay for what you know and what you do not know."

"..."

"If you really want to be an ally behind my back, you should try to realize the graveness of the battlefield and be prepared. You have to keep in mind that you can do terrible things or you can suffer at any time. If you want to fight someone, don't forget that you should be able to at least protect yourself."