Chapter 25

Even the doctor who initially thought she had a seasonal cold felt she was serious, so he asked about her condition every hour. If something went wrong, the doctor might be beheaded for neglecting to properly examine the prospective empress.

In the meantime, Marianne was just dreaming.

In her dreams, she was walking through a familiar garden. It was the garden in the annex of the Lennox Mansion.

The fenced walls were covered with rambling roses, and small animals ran around under the shade of the elms. On the way to the lake, there were round stepping stones sparsely placed to guide the way.

Marianne jumped on the stepping stones like a child. It's nothing special, but she was excited and happy. Falling, falling out. As she hopped here and there, grazing rabbits approached and mingled with her. As they were cute and lovely, she stretched out her legs toward the next stone.

At that time, the underside of the stepping stones fell down, and the world was overturned. She was already in the middle of a generous lake under her feet.

Her body sank deep into the lake.

She held her breath unconsciously and floundered. She felt a wave of cold water all over her body. When she looked over her head, she saw a big hand popping up and pressing her crown down. A tremendous pressure submerged her deeper.

She heard a familiar voice from afar. As if the owner of the voice was speaking with its face in an empty jar, some sound rang in her body.

"Marie, there is no love in the world."

She was short of breath.

"You are just a pretty doll. It would have been the same if you were sold off to someone other than me."

At that moment, she tried to say, 'No, that's not true.' But her answer didn't come out of her mouth;she felt more pain in her chest. Feeling a terrible sense of water seeping into her lungs, she grabbed a wave that she could not grasp at all.

'I want to live. I don't want to die stupidly. Please... Can anyone help me please!'

Her soundless screams foamed bubbles and rose to the surface.

At that moment, she grabbed something all of a sudden.

"Gasp!"

She opened her eyes, flabbergasted. It was not the lake but her bedroom. The only lighting was a candlestick on a small table by the bed, but she had no problem identifying the surroundings.

As she turned around, she noticed that it was someone's arm that she held tightly in her dream. When she rubbed her wet eyes, which might be sweat or tears, she could clearly notice the shape of the shadow.

A man. Since it was bit dark, she didn't know exactly who he was. But she saw his bright hair, his eyes reflecting the warm colors and blue energy as well as straight facial features like finely cut plaster.

"Your Excellency?"

She let go of the collar she was holding.

"... Marie."

She only met him twice, but he called her nickname with a familiar voice.

However, the emperor would not have called her by her nickname without any purpose, so this also seemed like a dream. Was it like a dream in her dream? She laughed quickly. When she thought it wasn't real, she began to spit out the words she wanted to speak instead of getting up and showing her manners.

"I thought I woke up, but it's a dream again. I thought I finally got out of Ober's brutal control, but I didn't know you were waiting for you before my eyes. You're so mean, indeed."