Chapter 128

"I really don't know now. I wouldn't dare to judge your relationship with Lady Marianne. If you really trust each other, I will be more than happy. I have always hoped for you to have a happy family. You know that, right?"

"... Yeah, I know."

"Damn it. I've never thought I'd have to say this..."

Jed grabbed his red hair roughly and crumpled it as if he was frustrated. After hesitating a bit, he looked straight into the emperor's eyes as if he made up his mind. He straightened his body and swallowed dry saliva once.

"But Your Majesty. This is about treason. You should never forget that until the investigation is completely done."

Jed's voice was serious and low, unlike how it was before. There was a mixture of concern and responsibility, apologeticness and compassion in his dark brown eyes.

Eckart breathed out slowly, his jaw tight. Meanwhile, Jed knelt without hesitation and put his hand on his left chest, asking for his forgiveness.

"I think I said something arrogant. Jed of the Renault family asks for your forgiveness."

In terms of the law and customs of the Aslan Empire, Jed's remarks were a reckless interference in his private affairs. Any advice that the emperor didn't ask for was rude, and even if somebody could offer advice for the public benefits without his request, it could still be stigmatized as unwarranted interference.

"I forgive you. So, stand up."

Eckhart did not blame Jed because he felt he was not qualified to do so from the beginning.

"Let me keep your advice in mind carefully."

He already knew exactly what Jed was trying to say.

Eckart closed his eyes. The moment his eyelids blocked the light and color of the world, the remnants of human emotions reflected in his blue eyes slowly faded away. Anxiety and expectation, displeasure and shame, solitude and even a bit of sorrow left him.

When he opened his eyes again, he was just the emperor, ruler of a flawless world, and the crystal of reason developed through divinity.

"Don't worry. Let me make sure the things you're worried about don't happen."

Even his low voice rang authoritatively.

Jed chewed his lips while looking at his casual attitude in a clear contrast to his nervousness from a moment ago.

"Your Majesty, I just..."

"If you want to leave before the sun goes down, sit there and draft the report I messed up again. I won't rip it this time."

Eckart cut off his words and pointed to a nearby auxiliary desk, gesturing with his chin.

As if he was no more interested in talking with Jed, he casually checked his remaining work for the day.

With a long sigh, Jed drooped his shoulders as he was troubled by Eckart's usual attitude.

That night, Jed stayed put in the back garden of his mansion as soon as he got back home.

Soon, in a warehouse where all kinds of silk across the empire were piled up like a mountain, servants picked up some strong alcohol from the warehouse and ran to the back garden.

Just as the officials of the Treasury Department were regarded as spies if they didn't know Jed, the chief Treasury official, was a heavy drinker. The servants from Earl Renault's mansion were aware that they would be in trouble if they didn't bring strong alcohol when he drank heavily.