Chapter 66

At that moment, a horse pulling a carriage made a strange noise and collapsed. The rest of the horses that were running in line got entangled and fell down. The wagon that was fast enough to run side by side with the wind suddenly lost speed.

"Oh, no...!"

Jason flew into the air with a bridle. The horseman's seat that was connected to the horses was lifted straight and broken, and even the body of the wagon got off the track and turned obliquely.

Curtis pulled his ax hard while falling over the broken rubble. But just before he lowered the wagon onto the road, the wooden wall of the wagon broke apart and the ax fell out.

"Your Majesty!" Curtis screamed. Though he acted quickly, it was too late. While he was falling between the fallen horses, the emperor's wagon bounced off the ground before crashing down the stiff cliff.

***

There were several moments when Marianne couldn't believe it at all in her previous life.

For example, the day she heard about his father's death or the night she overheard Ober's wicked tricks behind the rose fence. Or when the emperor took off his robe and proposed to her, and when she embraced her father again. She couldn't believe all these moments.

Now, she was experiencing the same thing again.

Marianne was blinking her eyes while she was being thrown off the cliff.

Death was right at hand. Maybe it was the last moment of her life, but she didn't feel like it was real. Just like how Eckart once appeared in her dream, she felt like time stopped and she was in a dream. She and he were moving in the world where time had stopped.

Bang!

The corner of the carriage hit the end of the protruding object of the cliff. The edge of the wooden board was broken. The inside of the carriage was overturned once more.

Eckart let go of the window frame he was holding. He no longer had to hang on to something. The tangled cloak fell and touched the wagon floor.

He pulled Marianne into his arms tightly and soothed her. Below was the water, and the stream tributaries of Benoit Falls were flowing fast. He unscrewed the decorative belt that had been long hanging on his waist hurriedly.

"Breathe in deeply," he whispered in a low voice.

Marianne, with her cheeks on his chest, watched the waterfall pouring out of the torn door.

The huge amount of water seemed to stop as if one year of rain had poured down all at once.

It meant the waterfall was falling at about the same speed as the water.

"You will never die."

Marianne closed her big eyes once and then opened them. She felt her body was light as if flying in a land without gravity.

Meanwhile, Eckart wrapped one end of the belt around Marianne's arm and fixed it. As he made the knot hurriedly, it wasn't good enough, but there was no time to make it any tighter. The sound of the waterfall gradually increased right up to her ears and then her head.

"You shouldn't let go of your grip on me..."

He didn't finish his words as he was submerged under the water. They were pushed into the water with the pain that seemed to rip and tear them apart. There was a gap between their bodies that seemed to be attached as one. The evil power of nature pressed on them from head to toe. Marianne passed out by the impact of the crash. Her consciousness left in a moment like a candle blown out in the wind. It was fortunate for her because she had experienced drowning before.