Chapter 68

Cough! A small cough came out once more.

She couldn't stand the nausea, so Marianne raised her upper body halfway. Her head turned sideways. As she didn't have time to cover her mouth with her hands, she began coughing like a patient with asthma for about 20 years.

"Cough...cough! Oops!"

A strong force squeezed her body as if it were going to pull out her intestines. Water and air came out of her mouth profusely, half through the nose and half through the mouth.

She had a sore nose and throat that caused tears. Her chest felt so painful, but strangely enough, the more she coughed, the more refreshed she felt.

"Cough! Cough! Ahhh..."

It wasn't long before her breath was back to normal. Marianne raised her hand to wipe her wet lips. Her arms felt heavy like a stone when she did so.

Soon, she looked at her wrists with her green eyes, which were loosely tied with a leash, or an embellished belt worn by the emperor.

At that moment, she recognized the reality. Everything that happened right before she lost consciousness came to mind at once. The sense of relief that she survived was fleeting.

"Your Majesty!"

She called him and leaned toward the opposite end of the sagging leash. A dress wet with water tangled her legs. Even though pebbles on the shallow riverbed pressed hard on her knees and shins, she didn't care.

"Your Majesty! It's me, Marianne! Can you hear me..."

Almost dragging herself to Eckart, she couldn't finish her words. Her lips curled up between her upper and lower teeth before she tightly bit them.

"...Your Majesty!"

She put her trembling hands on his firm chest. She shook him slightly, but Eckart didn't even move. Red blood stains were clear on his forehead, which were visible through his wet and disheveled golden hair. On his smooth cheeks and nose ridge as well as near the slightly open anterior clavicle, red bloodstains were engraved as if they were cut by a blade.

"What the heck is this..."

Embarrassed, she dropped her hand. Ominous feelings choked her throat. Even though she coughed a lot, she seemed to be suffocated once again.

"No? Your Majesty! Are you kidding me? Open your eyes! Please, Your Excellency!"

Uncontrollable fear brought up her defense mechanisms. Marianne shook his shoulders, trying to smile.

But Eckart did not answer. Like a doll made out of wax, he was shaken as she shook, just lying in one place.

"I don't like this kind of play...Don't..."

She kept crying, making a pitiful request. As if she were struck by thunder, she put her trembling hand under his nose. There was no breathing.

This time, she pressed on the neck of his chin with her three injured fingers. His freezing cold body welcomed her. As her hands were trembling so much, she couldn't feel the pulse well under his nape.

"No...I hate this...Please, please..."

She poked through his wet clothes urgently with her hands. She barely fell down over his bare chest after she removed a couple of thin clothes. She shut her crying mouth with her ears on his heart.

Please, please, please... ... .

Her desperate wishes for his survival barely supported her mental strength. All the senses of her body were focused on her hearing. She closed her eyes, holding her breath.