Chapter 69: The Attack

Start from the beginning

Ash thought for a moment, smiling as the memory came to him. It seemed to have become so much clearer since that day it had all come back to him when they'd found Absol after he'd taken off near Shalour City. "I remember chasing that Poliwag, and finding you down on the ground. I wanted to help you right away once I saw that you were hurt."

Serena smiled at that, and Ash thought he noticed her shuffling a little closer to him. He supposed it was a little chilly out, now that it was getting darker. "You haven't changed since then. At least, not when it comes to being so caring. I remember being so scared and frustrated at that camp. You encouraged me to never give up and I ended up really enjoying it. And now, here at school, you encourage all of us to never give up, and we've come so far."

"That's not just me," Ash said, rubbing his neck in embarrassment. Serena was much closer now. Now he was feeling nervous for whatever reason. "Everyone had a fighting spirit! Actually, I think we were all really inspired by you and Absol."

"I guess we all inspire each other," Serena said, smiling at the thought.

"Just as a team should."

"A family."

Ash nodded, pausing as he watched Pikachu and Rockruff up ahead. They looked to be having fun, but he was sure he noticed Pikachu glancing back at him and Serena a few times. Ash supposed it was to make sure they were okay considering it was getting dark. He couldn't help glancing behind him at that thought, the image of hunters coming to his mind. Fortunately, nothing was there.

"So...about what I wanted to say," Serena then murmured, glancing over at Ash. He turned his head, feeling his heart beating faster as he looked back at her. "I...really do admire you, Ash. The way you never give up, the way you care for your Pokemon and the way you help others..."

"You do that, too," Ash said slowly. They'd stopped walking now, and he hadn't even realized it till that moment. "I admire you, too!"

Serena's face went red at that, and she took a deep breath. "Well, it's more than that, Ash." She paused, looking in the direction of Prism Tower, its lights on now, bright in the darkening sky. "I-"

"Hey, get away from me!"

Ash's head shot up at that, seeing Pikachu and Rockruff already tensed and looking around. Immediately, the two darted over to him and Serena, Pikachu's cheeks sparking while Rockruff started growling. Serena was reacting just as quickly, her hand already pulling out a pokeball, which flashed open a moment later, Pancham emerging in front of her.

"That was Gabby!" she said quickly, eyes darting around. They'd both been too distracted by their conversation to properly identify where the yell had come from. A moment later, though, they heard another shout.

"Marowak, Bonemerang!"

"Anton," Ash said, eyes locking on to a street corner up ahead. "They must be that way. Let's go!"

Serena nodded, following after him as he darted ahead, Pikachu and Rockruff a few feet in front, ready to engage whatever was attacking the Laverre students. They reached the corner just as they heard another shout, followed by a small explosion and the sound of something hitting the ground. As Ash and Serena rounded the corner and looked ahead down the next street, they saw the two Laverre students, and across from them, were five figures in dark clothes, trying to look as intimidating as possible. Ash could see that two of the attackers' Pokemon were down, though, with Anton's Marowak standing over one, while Gabby's Cubone was backing off from the other.

"Anton!"

"Gabby!"

The Laverre students and their attackers both looked up in surprise, seeing their Lumiose rivals rushing towards them. The hunters, at least Ash was pretty sure they were hunters, glared at them as they approached, but Gabby smiled in relief, while Anton even nodded in thanks, seeing Pikachu, Rockruff and Pancham step in alongside his and Gabby's Pokemon. Ash and Serena positioned themselves across the hunters as well, and Ash was glad to see them looking uneasy now that the numbers were more even.