Chapter 61: A Tight Finish

Author's Note:

A big one here, folks. Will Ash, Clemont and Trevor be able to follow the Performance Team to the IPL Playoffs? Let's find out!

Chapter 61: A Tight Finish

Ash could feel Anton's eyes on him as he stood with his friends outside the battlefield, waiting to meet Professor Sycamore and their coaches. The other trainer was standing with his own team, although not a part of any of their conversations. When Ash looked back to him, however, Anton turned away quickly, appearing to glare towards whoever was nearest him. Ash could only sigh in response, turning back to his friends as they waited and discussed the matches ahead.

"Well, with the Performance Team in the playoffs now, you guys need to step it up, okay?" Dawn said confidently, looking to Ash, Clemont and Trevor in turn. Trevor looked pale as everyone looked to him, but Dawn didn't seem to notice in that moment. "Ready to turn things around from the last time you battled these guys?!"

"We'll certainly try," Clemont said, adjusting his glasses as he looked to a nearby screen that had the standings up. "It looks like the other matches are done, so we know what we need now."

Ash followed his gaze, seeing that their task ahead was still quite difficult. Unlike the Performance Team, he and the Battle Team would be fighting from behind to get into the playoffs, with Shalour College currently holding second place. They needed two of three points today if they were going to qualify.

1st Place: Laverre University (12pts)

2nd Place: Shalour College (9pts)

3rd Place: Lumiose University (8pts)

4th Place: Coumarine College (4pts)

"Are you guys planning to battle the same opponents as last time?" Marie asked, Ash and the others looking to her. "I guess it's obvious enough that Ash will be battling Anton."

"Yeah, Greninja and I have been looking forward to that rematch!" Ash said, pumping his fist along with Pikachu, who was excited as well, even though he wouldn't be battling.

"I think Bunnelby would probably like another shot at battling Dean and his Diggersby," Clemont said, looking to Trevor as though checking if that was all right. Trevor didn't seem to have any argument against it, but Ash wasn't sure if that was because he was happy battling Sasha, or if it was because he wasn't even focusing on what they were saying, the nerves of the coming battles getting to him.

Tierno seemed to sense his friend's nerves, patting Trevor on the back as he moved up beside him. "That means you'll be beating that girl Sasha, right Trevs? Gotta get payback for last time!"

"Are you going to use Charizard this time?" Shauna asked, looking concerned as Trevor fidgeted with his camera. "Or are you going to give Aerodactyl a chance at a rematch?"

Trevor didn't end up having to answer that, as just then, Professor Sycamore, along with Flint, Agatha and Fantina, arrived to meet the group. Fantina looked quite relaxed, seeming as though she was ready to simply enjoy the battles now that she'd helped guide the Performance Team to the playoffs. Flint and Agatha looked pretty fired up, though, both nervous and excited.

"Hope you guys are ready to burn the field up today!" Flint said excitedly, while Professor Sycamore led the group towards their seats at the edge of the battlefield. "Nothing like a chance to make up for a tough loss. Let's show these guys we're a new team from the last time we battled them."

"And don't get too comfortable thinking they'll be happy with already having secured their playoff position," Agatha added, more seriously. "You saw how their Performance Team fought. These Laverre students don't seem to let up."