Chapter 2: Home

The flight back to Kanto from Lumiose City wasn't even close to being as enjoyable as the reverse had been about a year ago. Ash and Pikachu both felt pretty miserable the whole way, and their body language showed it. Ash sat low in his seat, head drooping to the side as he stared out the window. Pikachu was on his lap, curled up as comfortably as possible, but constantly fidgeting as sleep evaded him throughout the hours.

The two had obviously returned home after losing leagues before, but this felt more painful and frustrating. After finishing in the Top Four in Sinnoh, Ash had been sure he was close. Then, after losing in the Unova League, Ash had seen it as a wake up call. He had to try harder, and really earn his way to the top. So, after working so long and so hard throughout his Kalos journey, Ash was crushed that he'd gone so far to only lose once again.

"What are we supposed to do, Pikachu?" he whispered gloomily. "I've loved travelling, I know you have too, but it's just that we're always pulled back by something. At least, that's how it feels." He took a deep breath and glanced down to Pikachu, who stared back up with what Ash knew was a similar expression to his. Pikachu's eyes showed sadness, his ears drooped and his head hung low. Really, Ash had never seen Pikachu look like this, and he supposed the electric mouse had never seen him look like this. He tried to think of something that would cheer both of them up. "Well, at least when we get home, we can get some of my mom's cooking. We'll even be able to see all of the other Pokemon. No place like home, right?"

"Pika," Pikachu squeaked, raising his head a bit and nodding. His eyes seemed to light up a bit. Ash knew his partner Pokemon enjoyed their trips back to Pallet Town, and would definitely be happy to see his old friends at the lab. It would be a good place to temporarily forget about the disappointment of their finals loss.

Ash even felt a little better after thinking about it a little more. He'd have to come up with something to do next. He knew he had to figure out what his plan was and where to go next soon enough. However, relaxing at home would be fun. He realized he hadn't exactly done much of that since he'd gone on his Pokemon journey. Maybe sitting still for awhile would be a good thing. It wasn't like he couldn't train while at home. He had plenty of Pokemon that he hadn't seen in awhile, so why not work with them for a bit?

But we still need to go on at some point. I'm not giving up on my dream, Ash thought to himself, turning his head back to the window, noticing that they seemed to be flying over Pewter City. He recognized the gym far down below, and wondered if the gym leader, Brock, was having a battle. "Well, if we're at Pewter City, I guess we'll be in Viridian City pretty soon," Ash said to Pikachu, nodding to himself as they quickly approached the Viridian Forest. "Ready for the walk back to Pallet Town?"

"Pika!" Pikachu said happily, sitting up and stretching. Both he and Ash were definitely more the walking type, rather than the sitting in a plane type. A walk from Viridian City to Pallet Town wasn't too long, not for experienced travellers like them, and it was a good opportunity to stretch their legs after the long flight.

It was still about a half an hour before they passed the forest and began the descent to the ground. Ash never understood that about planes, but he stayed patient until they were finally landed, and were able to get up. Luckily, he was a light traveller, with just his backpack with him, so once he was through security, he was able to get out of the airport fairly quickly.

Once outside, he stretched his arms out and took a deep breath, letting the sunlight warm his face. Pikachu did the same up on his shoulder. "Things are already starting to feel better, don't you think? It's good to be back in Kanto again."

"Chaaa!" Pikachu agreed, closing his eyes and sniffing the air, as though trying to convey that Kanto had a different smell to Kalos. Clearly it was one he enjoyed.