Chapter 26: Eggspectations

Author's Note:

Hi all. I know it might seem like there's an excuse every chapter now, but I had a family matter to deal with the past couple of weeks so that's put me behind a little bit. Nothing I can do about that, but hopefully you understand. On that note, there are some reviews I need to respond to. I'll get back to you soon on those, don't worry. Anyways...on to the chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter 26: Eggspectations

"Another little brat! Who do these people in Kalos think they are? They vote for these girls with absolutely no class, and no beauty, when I bless them with my presence!"

Ugh.

"James, find out where the next showcase is! I'm not losing another one. This is ridiculous! And you better let me use Inkay next time! Clearly Meowth isn't up for the task!"

"Um...but Jess...Meowth was cheered off the stage."

"They were cheering for me! Are you blind?"

Things had been awfully boring the last few months for a trio of what Meowth once considered the top three members of the most powerful criminal Pokemon organization in the world. Well, he definitely didn't think so right now, and he'd had a tough time thinking that the last few years, let alone the last few months. Today, though, things seemed to have reached their low point, with him, and his companions arriving in Lumiose City after participating in a Performance Showcase in Santalune City.

Yep...Team Rocket travels around for showcases. We've really hit rock bottom now. And to think we thought losing to the twerp was bad.

Meowth sighed, staring tiredly at Jessie, the magenta-haired woman who always had a flare for the dramatic, which included taking any loss as evidence of the world being against her. She was now glaring at Meowth, as though daring him to speak up in defence of himself after what she'd said. At this point, though, he didn't really care.

"Jess, if ya don't want me next time, I understand," he muttered, casting a glance towards the blue-haired man to his left, James, who was, understandably, looking quite terrified at the moment. When Jessie lost, and more specifically, when she lost three times in a row, she was definitely not fun to be around.

"I never said I didn't want you! You just have to work harder. Come on! We have to practice a new routine! We can use that new university's training grounds. Everyone will think I'm a beautiful young student perfecting my already wonderful routines." Jessie smirked at that, running her fingers through her hair, clearly quite proud of the alternate reality she'd come up with.

"I think da students will notice..." Meowth blurted out, eyes widening as soon as he spoke. "I mean...um..."

James quickly interrupted before Jessie could leap forward and strangle Meowth. "Uh...Jess, why don't we take a break from your showcases for the day? Maybe...um...the world needs to have a rest from your beauty?"

Jessie paused for a moment, looking like she wasn't sure whether to take that as an insult or not, clearly sensing it was James trying to distract her, but also liking the way it sounded. "Very well," she muttered, looking away pointedly, "I will give my adoring fans a rest. They deserve it."

"Yeah, it'll be good for ya, Jess. Maybe we can do something...a little more..." Meowth trailed off, nervously looking towards James, hoping he got the idea. He knew James missed the old days too.

"Maybe we can see if the boss has an assignment for us?" James asked, giving Meowth a little nod before looking at Jessie. "It's been a long time since we've had an update from him. Maybe he'll be...in a better mood."