Chapter 69: The Attack

Author's Note:

Hello all. Apologies for the lengthy break (longest we've had in awhile). Just had one of those ruts. This is obviously a tricky part of the story, with it being so crucial, so I need my pieces in order. Hopefully this opens things up well enough. I guess we'll see.

Chapter 69: The Attack

As Ash and Serena headed towards the residence buildings, he noticed Serena slowing her pace, clearly tired after her earlier battle. He could see her looking lost in thought, guessing that she was playing through the battle in her head. He couldn't blame her, smiling as he looked back ahead, the memory of Absol's Mega Evolution and incredible finishing move with Braixen coming to his mind. Serena never failed to impress.

"I still can't believe today," Serena suddenly said, glancing at Ash as he slowed his pace to match hers. "I've never been in a battle like that. I can see why you enjoy it so much." She laughed as she fiddled with the ribbon he'd given her, now tied at the collar, the Key Stone within it.

"It gets better every time, too!" Ash told her, grinning. "Especially when you see an awesome battle and get to have your own right after it. I'm all fired up after yours!"

Serena laughed, while Pikachu voiced his agreement from Ash's shoulder. "Well, I'm glad it's you battling next. I'm pretty wiped out after that match."

"Hopefully you can recover soon, and then we can have a battle!" Ash told her excitedly. "I bet Absol and Decidueye could have an awesome rematch!"

"You and Decidueye might want to be careful," Serena warned jokingly. "Absol will be able to use the air as well, now!"

They shared another laugh at that, and as they continued walking, Ash thought back to that battle the two of them had fought back in Professor Sycamore's tournament. Absol may have fallen to Decidueye, or Rowlet as he was then, but he and Serena had shown themselves to be the true victors of that tournament in the end. Professor Sycamore had wanted the students to demonstrate how they could build a bond with their Pokemon, and with what Absol had been through, and how Serena had reached him, their progress together was unmatched. In his mind, the ribbon he had given her the night before was a gift to remind her to never give up, but the Key Stone was something she and Absol had earned, and it was rightfully theirs.

"Ash, do you remember last night...there was something I was going to ask you?" Ash glanced at her, seeing Serena's eyes looking oddly determined, despite her somewhat shaky voice. "Or...tell you, anyway."

Ash nodded, smiling. "Yeah, but Bonnie wanted us to go in and join the party!" He glanced at Pikachu, chuckling, but stopped as he noticed his partner Pokemon looking a little embarrassed.

"Pika..." Pikachu then said, smirking a little as he scurried down from Ash's shoulder, tapping a pokeball on his way down, releasing Rockruff to join him as he darted ahead. Rockruff looked a little surprised, but Ash nodded encouragingly at him and he ran off to join Pikachu up ahead.

When Ash returned his attention to Serena, she was staring up ahead at the two Pokemon in surprise. "Pikachu's so sweet..." she murmured, looking both embarrassed about whatever it was that electric mouse was up to, and pleased. She looked back to Ash, smiling shyly. "I...I'm not really sure how to say this."

She paused, and Ash grinned, hoping to encourage her. "Is there something worrying you?" he asked gently.

"Well...no. Not this thing anyway." Serena sighed, taking a deep breath. "What do you remember about Professor Oak's summer camp? From when we met?"