Chapter 5: A Challenging Gym Battle

A few minutes after their conversation with Clemont, Serena and Shauna were walking along a more populated street in Lumiose City, in search of cafe where they could relax and catch up for a few minutes. They hadn't really planned on what they would be doing today, but Serena assumed they'd just be shopping and maybe they'd find a park they could practice some performances in. Of course, Shauna was likely interested in learning more about the school, but Serena knew they had plenty of time to discuss that, either throughout the day, or even the next month.

"Oh, there's a good place!" Shauna suddenly exclaimed, as the two performers rounded a corner, reaching a street with a whole array of shops, bakeries and cafes. Serena's eyes followed where Shauna was pointing, and she could just see a small cafe on the other side of the street, with a little patio outside, and a few people sitting out with their Pokemon. "Come on, let's go!" Shauna shouted again, picking up the pace and making her way quickly down the sidewalk on their side of the street.

Serena sighed in exasperation, but sped up as well so that she wouldn't get too far behind her excited friend. As soon as she made it over to Shauna, who had bolted past a few stunned people who'd been walking at a normal pace, the brunette nodded, looked both ways, and then led Serena across the street. Once across, they stood in front of the cafe Shauna had selected, both giving it a quick once over to make sure they wanted go there.

It was a small, old fashioned looking building, with three small tables out front, a curving, red canopy hanging over top of them. In front of the tables, separating them from the street, were short garden hedges, which seemed to give the patio a sense of privacy from the busy street in front of the cafe. Through the window, past the patio, Serena could see a few more tables inside and pictures of Pokemon scattered all over the walls. A few of the people inside even had Pokemon out with them, including a young trainer with a Fennekin which made Serena remember the day she'd received hers not too far from here.

"I think this place looks nice," Shauna decided, glancing at Serena to make sure the latter agreed. Serena nodded, smiling, and then she and Shauna made their way over to an empty table on the patio and sat down, Serena on one side, Shauna on the other. A blonde lady in a brown and white uniform from the cafe, who seemed eager to please, quickly noticed them, greeted them, and then gave them their menus before returning inside the cafe.

Serena was just opening up her menu, eyes immediately scanning over the pictures of macarons, when loud, clapping footsteps were heard on the other end of the hedges. Serena poked her head up above them to see what was going on, and noticed a girl, about her age, with long, pink hair going all the way down her back. She was wearing a black tank top, and a short, pink skirt and pink sandals, along with a small, black bow in her hair. When the girl stopped, turning her head to glance at the cafe, Serena could see her bright, blue eyes, which narrowed when the girl looked on. "Where is that idiot?" the girl muttered, before storming off, clearly in search of something.

"What are you staring at?" Shauna suddenly asked, poking her head up as well, but now unable to see the girl Serena had been watching, due to her having stormed off so quickly. "What was that stomping all about?" she asked, after returning to her original position.

Serena shrugged, also settling back down in her seat. Clearly that girl had been in a rush to find whoever it was she was looking for and wasn't happy about being it. Although, she'd had enough time to disturb the peacefulness of the cafe they were at. Serena let the hint of irritation leave her, and she turned her attention to Shauna, who was watching her curiously. "Sorry, I just got distracted. It was nothing. Nothing important, anyways."

"Good, so we can talk," Shauna concluded, pulling her chair up further and then leaning forward. "What else can you tell me about this school? You must have looked into it a little more since talking to Palermo."