Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger

Author's Note:

Hello all, we're back with more LU, and today, the battles begin! Lots to get to so hope you enjoy!

Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger

"Rockruff, use Bite! Riolu, block with Metal Claw and then follow it up with Focus Blast!"

Clemont and Korrina couldn't help but laugh at the intensity of the training session before them as they watched Ash putting Rockruff and Riolu through their paces. They'd been going at it for awhile now, and neither seemed to be giving an inch. It was hard to believe that Riolu was still so young, and that Rockruff had joined Ash only after his trip to Alola. Korrina certainly seemed to think Riolu in particular was impressive, she and her Lucario begging for a battle with it once the playoffs were concluded.

"Rrruff!" Rockruff barked out as he charged towards the Emanation Pokemon, Clemont bringing his attention back to the battle. The Puppy Pokemon was quick to reach him, but Riolu already had a glowing fist out in front, blocking with Metal Claw right away as Rockruff latched his jaws onto it. For a moment, Clemont did think Rockruff would be able to shake Riolu off his feet, but a moment later, the fighting type seemed to take control.

"Ru!" Riolu grunted as he shoved forward, causing Rockruff to stumble back from the force, before letting go of the Emanation Pokemon's fist. "RuuuRU!"

Clemont was sure Korrina tensed up next to him, as though surprised by something, her Lucario also seeming to notice something as it grunted. However, Clemont wasn't sure what it was, as Riolu suddenly formed the orb of Focus Blast and thrust his arms forward to unleash it. It missed, as it usually did, heading straight for Pikachu, who was watching alongside Hawlucha.

"Lucha!" the Wrestling Pokemon cried out, darting forward and slashing down on the Focus Blast with a Karate Chop, causing it to explode between Rockruff and Riolu and send them both skidding backwards.

"Aw man, it looked super close that time!" Ash called out a moment later, once the dust settled on the training field they were using just outside the Pokemon Centre. "I thought it was going to work. Good save, though, Hawlucha!"

"Lucha!" Hawlucha nodded in acknowledgment, before posing briefly. He stopped a moment later, though, appearing to notice Riolu looking a little down. "Lucha hawlucha!" He hopped over to the Emanation Pokemon, patting him on the back as Ash, Pikachu and Rockruff approached as well.

"Don't worry, Riolu," Ash said encouragingly as he knelt down next to his young fighting type. "You looked super strong! That was awesome how you blocked Rockruff's Bite, and your speed is getting even better than before. You could match Pikachu someday!"

"Ruff!"

"Pika!"

Clemont smiled as he noticed Riolu looking like he felt a bit better, joining Hawlucha in showing off his muscles with a quick flex. He glanced to his side to ask Korrina if her Lucario had ever struggled with a move like that before, but noticed she was frowning, apparently still thinking of whatever she had noticed during the brief battle. "Something wrong?" he asked, seeing her exchange a look with Lucario before turning to him in surprise.

"Uh...no. It's nothing." She shook her head, as though trying to forget whatever thought was on her mind and then turned to Ash and his Pokemon. "That Riolu of yours really is awesome, Ash! I bet he'll be a really tough Lucario one day!"

Ash grinned at that, Riolu looking up at him in equal excitement. "That'd be so cool, wouldn't it Riolu?!"

"Ruru!" Riolu punched the air in triumph, his little fist a few inches away from Pikachu, who's cheeks sparked as it went up.