Chapter 47: Performing With a Watery Charm

Author's Note:

And the next chapter is here, and not after something like 5 months! Isn't that great? Not much to say other than...wow, Ash has a Dragonite now. Who's excited about that? Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Chapter 47: Performing With a Watery Charm

"All right, Greninja use Double Team!"

Ash spread his arms out in front of him, feeling the rush of power in his veins that he knew the Ninja Pokemon felt as well. This time, Crabominable wouldn't stand a chance. As copies of Greninja spread around the battlefield, on the ground and in the air, their opponent stared around cautiously, his trainer calmly watching from behind him. Hala wasn't one to be taken off guard, so Ash knew this strike needed to be executed perfectly.

"Now!" Ash yelled, raising his right arm up above him as though holding up the sky. He could feel his heart racing, energy surging through him. "Let's do this! WATER SHURIKEN!"

All the Greninja copies in the air cried out in answer, the echoing giving Crabominable a slightly hesitant look. Each raised his arm, the water rising above and spinning rapidly, glowing in a bright blue light. Then, Ash felt his heart somehow beating faster, feeling the desperation in both him and Greninja to make this work. It was a connection of their hearts he had rarely felt as strongly.

"Greeennnn!" Greninja cried out, his copies rushing to a spot in the air, the spinning shuriken above his real form expanding more and more, glowing brighter and brighter, changing from blue to yellow to red and orange.

Ash vaguely noticed Hala starting to move his arms in rhythm with Crabominable, but he and Greninja weren't worried. They were ready this time. They wouldn't fail. They were stronger than ever. They were more connected than ever.

"GOOOO!" Ash shouted, thrusting his arm out in front of him with all his might. If he hadn't been so focused on the attack, he might've winced at the pulling of his muscles.

As Greninja's glowing Water Shuriken rushed towards Crabominable, the opposing Pokemon unleashed his own move, the flying fists of All-Out-Pummeling coming out to meet Greninja's attack. Ash felt as though it was all in slow motion, the two mighty attacks heading to meet on an ultimate collision course.

But then Greninja's shuriken met the Z-Move, and it evaporated in an instant.

"Gren!" the Ninja Pokemon cried out in surprise.

Ash couldn't even react as Greninja was struck by the mighty fists that rushed towards him. He felt his chest and stomach sting from each hit, and his eyes bulged with the final one that sent Greninja crashing to the ground. Both trainer and Pokemon dropped to the ground as Greninja's form faded.

"Greninja is unable to battle!" Professor Kukui called out from the sideline, waving his arm to Hala and Crabominable. "Hala and Crabominable win the match!"

"Ruff ruff!" Rockruff barked from the professor's side, before the Puppy Pokemon ran forward to Ash, eyes wide in concern.

Ash smiled weakly as Rockruff reached him, struggling to his knees. Rockruff had made a habit of ensuring he was okay whenever he collapsed after a battle with Greninja. That was often over the last week and a half.

"Thanks Rockruff," Ash whispered, sitting up a little straighter and taking a few deep breaths. "I'm okay." Rockruff barked happily at that and hopped into Ash's lap and gave his face a few licks, before Pikachu and Riolu came over to also make sure he was okay. Once they were all convinced, Ash quickly headed over to Greninja, helping his fierce fighter to his feet, while Kukui and Hala came over.