Chapter 53: The Enemy

Author's Note:

Today it's a Monday upload, because Wynaut...and I've been behind so we need to catch up. It's another IPL match coming up, but first...

Chapter 53: The Enemy

The weeks following the incident with Jessie, James and their Pokemon were fairly uneventful, other than the intense training and the schoolwork that kept Clemont and his friends quite busy. They were all a little on edge, wanting to do something more about the hunters, but left with only preparing themselves in the best way possible for whatever might happen. They did their best in their training, though, and worked hard on their various assignments.

Clemont had found the Mega Evolution project to be quite interesting, and he and Shauna had made quite a bit of progress on it, looking into the different kinds of Pokemon that could Mega Evolve and why certain Pokemon had been found to do it, and others hadn't. Korrina had been a great resource for him, and he'd called her often for help. The only difficult thing was dealing with Shauna letting Bonnie know how often he called Korrina.

Today, however, he wanted to call Korrina for a different reason. It was another IPL match this weekend, both for him and his Lumiose University teammates, and for Korrina and Shalour College. Clemont had just finished with his team as they had greeted Coumarine College who was visiting for their second match against Lumiose, and he figured Korrina would be in Laverre City by now, ready for her match against Anton.

He sat down at one of the phones in the Pokemon Centre, ignoring the curious glances from some of the Coumarine students who had also come inside, and he put in the number for the Laverre Pokemon Centre. When the Laverre Nurse Joy answered, he asked if the Shalour IPL team had shown up yet, happy to find that they had. After a few moments, he smiled as Korrina's face appeared on the screen in front of him.

"Clemont! It's good to see you! Have you guys met with Coumarine yet?" the Shalour Gym Leader asked, looking excited, but a little tired from what must've been a long bus ride.

"Yeah, we just finished. How long have you been in Laverre?" Clemont asked, supposing they'd probably tried to get an early start.

"We got here in the afternoon. Having a bit of a rest before heading out to do some training." She paused, leaning forward with excitement. "I brought Vivillon with us. I thought it could use an outing to get a chance to fly around in some different places. Nurse Joy's giving it a checkup right now."

Clemont couldn't hide the surprised look that quickly came to his face, and he realized he was going to have to reveal the true reasoning behind his call soon. Part of him wasn't so sure now, thinking it might not be good to push things if what he suspected turned out to be true. However, he had to trust Korrina to do what was right, and if what he suspected was true, she was in the right place to address it.

"What is it, Clemont?" Korrina asked after a moment. "You look like something is on your mind..." She seemed almost suspicious, peering at him through the screen.

"Well...I've been thinking about something. It's been on my mind a lot lately," he answered slowly, avoiding eye contact for the moment.

"Is it about the hunters?" Korrina asked, her voice a little more gentle now. She knew how upsetting things had been with Team Rocket and the aftermath of what had happened.

"Yeah...well sort of," Clemont said, looking back to the screen and adjusting his glasses. "Remember what I told you about the man that we ran into the day that we found Team Rocket?"

Korrina nodded, glancing around as though making sure nobody was listening. "Yeah, you mentioned it was...Anton and Gabby's dad, right?" She said the last part in a whisper. "I never mentioned anything about that to them. Not that they would've listened...you know how Anton is." She paused, looking curiously at Clemont. "What about him?"