Chapter 63: A Lesson in Z-Moves

Author's Note:

The final chapter before the IPL Playoffs arrive in Lumiose City! However, that doesn't mean there's no action in this chapter. It's a bit of weird one for a couple moments, though, so hopefully it isn't too weird. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 63: A Lesson in Z-Moves

Meowth winced as he tried to follow the activity up ahead, seeing the hunters moving around a couple of trucks as they tried to get things ready for another load of cages to be put in. His head was still bothering him from the fall from the base. Fortunately, he was able to move a little better after the few days of rest, but he still felt off. He just hoped he would have it in him to help with freeing whatever Pokemon they could.

"See anything up ahead, pal?" he asked Skiddo, as the Mount Pokemon shuffled through the bushes back to where he and Wobbuffet had been waiting.

Skiddo shook his head, not daring to open his mouth. He was still taking on the duty of doing the scouting for their trio, but he was clearly quite nervous being back among the hunters. Meowth couldn't blame him, not feeling so great about it either. Even if he wasn't still feeling off from their escape, he knew it was a risky idea to go near these people.

Fortunately, Skiddo's scouting did give them enough information for the current operation, however. It seemed only a couple truckloads of Pokemon were being transferred, potentially for some kind of sale based on what Meowth had heard a few hunters saying earlier. He was assuming that meant that the hunters were trying to get rid of some of their weaker Pokemon before they set out to try and steal the ones competing in the IPL.

"We'll have ta be ready when they bring the cages out," Meowth said after a few more moments of watching, seeing the hunters that were by the truck now just waiting around. "They don't seem ta be expecting any trouble, so we're gonna move fast."

"Wobba," Wobbuffet agreed, while Skiddo nodded nervously.

"Just in case, you're gonna need ta slash der tires, all right, pal?" Meowth said to Skiddo. "At least dey won't get away from us easily dat way." He paused, realizing that it might not be the hunters trying to get away. "And if we have ta run, we will, but dey won't catch us easy either."

They waited another moment, watching the hunters, and Meowth was about to add another couple of instructions about taking out the doors to the back of the trucks. However, in that moment, there was a commotion from further down the road as someone seemed to be calling out to the hunters by the trucks. Meowth tried to look, but was unable to see, only able to tell that there were probably about three more hunters on their way.

The new hunters came into view a moment later, though, and Meowth tensed up immediately when he saw them. It wasn't the hunters that gave him a chill as he stared ahead, mouth hanging open in surprise, it was what they had with them. He couldn't help but turn to look at Skiddo, who looked even more horrified than he felt.

"Don't worry, pal," Meowth then said, unsheathing and sheathing his claws as he stared back out at the hunters in agitation. "We're gonna free 'em, don't you worry."

"Wobba wobbuffet..." Wobbuffet agreed, sounding equally furious.

As they watched the scene in front of them, the hunters and what was with them became even clearer, the sun shining down on the road as they headed up towards the trucks. They had a group of about a dozen Rhyhorn struggling to pull a massive collection of carts. On the carts were a collection of cages, all stacked close together, each far too small to hold the Pokemon inside of them. Each cage appeared to hold the same Pokemon. Skiddo.

"Doo-oo-oo," Skiddo bleated very softly from Meowth's side, pawing nervously at the ground as he watched the Rhyhorn pulling the carts.

Meowth was a little worried about having to fight the Rhyhorn when he'd first noticed them, but he quickly realized they didn't seem to be doing any of this willingly. One of the new hunters arriving seemed to have the job of going around and poking them in the side with some kind of electric prod. If they didn't respond to that, another had a remote with him that seemed to be able to shock all of them at once with collars they were all wearing. We're gonna free them as well, Meowth vowed.