Chapter 13: New Friends

With the first week of school done, and the announcement of tryouts for the IPL teams having been made, things had been pretty hectic at Lumiose University for a few days. While the first week of classes had been more about introducing the topics, it was already becoming clear that in the second week, things would be going at a much faster pace. As Clemont busily took notes in his Levels and Experience class, Trevor doing the same next to him, the realization of how busy they were getting was truly hitting him. It was only going to get harder with their project being assigned today, although it was the kind of project that would be enjoyable even for the many students who hated homework.

As Yuzo discussed some of the different evolutions that required battle experience, Trevor leaned over and whispered to Clemont, sounding somewhat excited, although it was hard to tell since he was whispering. "Hey Clemont, what kind of Pokemon are you hoping for?" he asked, quickly noting down something Yuzo said before looking back at Clemont. "I think it'd be cool to get another fire type to go with my Charizard. Or maybe another Kanto Pokemon."

Clemont thought for a few moments, not really sure how to answer. He'd definitely been excited about the idea of getting a new Pokemon from this class, and seeing the desk full of the trays of pokeballs, he could barely resist glancing over at it every few minutes. He hadn't really thought about which Pokemon he specifically wanted, though. He would truly be happy with whatever one he got, as long as they got along and would be able to work well with each other. "I guess I'll just go with whatever Pokemon I get. There's a lot of students here, so I think we just need to see where it goes."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Trevor said with a small nod. He was silent for a few moments as the two of them noted down a few more points from the lecture, and then he looked back over to Clemont. "I'm just a little worried that the Pokemon I get might not get along with Charizard and the others. I don't know if I've told you, but my Charizard gets a little...restless sometimes. He really likes to battle, so sometimes he overdoes it. It hasn't been a huge deal with the Pokemon I have, but sometimes other Pokemon and their trainers get a little frustrated by it."

"Once they get to know each other, I'm sure it'll be fine," Clemont told his friend confidently. "My Chespin can frustrate others as well, since he has a bad habit of stealing food, but once people and other Pokemon get to know him, it's usually fine. Sometimes the hyperactive Pokemon are the more interesting ones to learn about.

The two of them were fairly quiet after that, although at this point, it was clear it had less to do with listening to the lecture, and more to do with wondering about what Pokemon they were going to be receiving from Yuzo for the class assignment. Clemont was still managing to take notes and listen to what Yuzo was saying, but he continued to glance over at the desk with the pokeballs, imagining all the possibilities of which ones he could get.

Clemont could understand Trevor's nerves about how the new Pokemon would interact with his current Pokemon, but he felt surprisingly confident about what would come of this. He knew it wouldn't be easy, as it was likely supposed to be difficult, with it being an assignment for one of his most important classes. However, if he was learning anything from Ash, it was that nothing pushed a trainer and their Pokemon forward like bonding and working hard together. He was sure that whoever he received, would be able to help him through this class and whatever lay ahead.

When the lecture finally ended, with about twenty minutes still remaining in the class, Yuzo wrapped things up, and then approached the desk with the pokeballs. He aimed up his remote towards the projector and the screen flashed with a picture of all the starter types that would be available to the students. Clemont noticed that two of them were actually blacked out, though, with one being a cat-like Pokemon called Litten, and the other being a sea lion-like Pokemon called Popplio. The other Pokemon, an owl-like Pokemon named Rowlet, had a star next to it. Clemont supposed this meant that two of them were unavailable, while Yuzo likely only had one Rowlet.