Chapter 33: A Mega Test

Author's Note:

All right, another chapter is here! This one is a bit...I don't know...odd in some places. When it comes to some of the Ash-Greninja stuff I'm doing, I'm basically trying to expand a bit on the little info Sycamore had in the anime. I've got a few things coming up that I'm hoping will work with it, but...I guess we'll see how that all plays out. Not much I can say until it starts to get cleared up.

Anyways, off to Chapter 33.

Chapter 33: A Mega Test

It was the last school night of the week, with only the Friday classes remaining before Ash and his friends would be able to compete in the tournament and take their chances at getting that Key Stone that Sycamore had promised the winner. It was tough to sleep, and Ash could barely imagine what it would be like the next night. In some ways, he was even more excited about this tournament than he had been about the opening IPL match. He supposed it had more to do with the fact that he'd been letting his losing streak get to his head so much before, but he was also just so excited to see how he'd do with Rowlet, as well as seeing how his friends would do with their new Pokemon.

He sat up in his bed as thoughts of potential battle scenarios in the tournament played through his head. He imagined Rowlet going up against Turtwig again, and settling the score. He thought of Dawn and her new Scatterbug, taking on Marie and her new Fletchling. And he thought of Serena and Absol, truly working together as trainer and Pokemon for the first time. It was all so exciting.

"Pika?" Ash looked down to Pikachu who was curled up at the foot of his bed, the electric mouse looking up tiredly at his trainer, having noticed he was awake.

"Sorry, Pikachu. Just thinking," Ash said, smiling sheepishly.

Pikachu didn't seem to mind, standing and stretching, looking a little more awake now that he noticed how awake Ash was. A moment later, there was a bit of shuffling over where Ash's backpack lay next to his desk, and Rowlet surprisingly poked his head out. Of course, Ash supposed the little owl Pokemon was asleep most of the day, so maybe it made sense for him to wake up in the middle of the night.

Ash smiled at the sight of his two Pokemon, suddenly feeling the need to get up, knowing he wouldn't be getting to sleep any time soon. "I can't sleep, guys," Ash admitted to the two Pokemon. "Wanna go for a little walk?" he asked, sliding out of his bed.

Both seemed agreeable to that, Pikachu hopping up onto Ash's shoulder as he got up, while Rowlet flew to the opposite side. Ash then grabbed his jacket and his belt, which had both Greninja's and Hawlucha's pokeballs. He then headed out the door, careful to step by Clemont's room quietly and open and close the door to the dorm carefully.

When he was out in the hallway, he thought he heard the sound of a door around the corner in the direction of Serena and Shauna's room, so with a curious look at Pikachu and Rowlet, he headed off in that direction. He rounded a corner, finding the stairs that led back down to the lobby, for those who preferred not to use the elevator. Since he was feeling so full of energy, Ash decided that's what he would do, but as he started to head down, he glanced up, hearing the sound of another door, and noticed the steps leading up to the roof of the building as well.

He shrugged, thinking it would be interesting to head on up there, and he, Pikachu and Rowlet started to make their way up. A few moments later, Ash was at the door and pushing it open, a soft breeze blowing into his face as he stepped out into the cool night air, the lights of Lumiose City all around the building. It was an impressive sight, and Ash would've taken more of it in, but he then noticed he wasn't alone on the roof at the moment.