Chapter 28: Clemontic Geared Up

Author's Note:

IPL round 2 coming up, and this time, the battles come first. I apologize in advance for a very goofy little moment for Clemont. Anyways, let's go to the chapter.

Chapter 28: Clemontic Geared Up

The bus arrived in Shalour City fairly late on the Friday night, so the Lumiose University crew were quick to get to bed, their first meetings with the Shalour College IPL teams left until the next day. When Ash woke up in his room in the Pokemon Centre, hearing Clemont already getting his things ready to go and get breakfast, he quickly got up, rushing to the washroom to get himself ready, and in his uniform. When he got out, Ash saw Pikachu up and ready to go, while Clemont was checking to make sure he had his backpack in order.

"Ready to go win this thing?" Ash asked, holding up his fist, smiling confidently. He was ready to show his friends and Pokemon that he wasn't letting Anton, or the rest of his losses, get to him. It was time to move forward. When Sycamore had mentioned that the Battle Team would be starting off the weekend's matchups, Ash had been immediately fired up.

Clemont chuckled a little nervously, fiddling with his hat, clearly still as uncomfortable with it as he'd been the first time he'd worn it. "I guess so. It definitely can't go worse than last time, right? And at least Korrina might be a better sport."

Ash shrugged as Pikachu joined the two of them at the door and they exited the room, thinking of the Shalour Gym Leader and the battle he'd had with her way back for his Rumble Badge. "Korrina might be a better sport, but she definitely won't be an easy opponent to beat. It'll be really fun to battle her again, though. How do you feel about another battle against Lucario, Pikachu?" he asked, as Pikachu hopped up onto his shoulder and they started heading down the hall towards the lobby of the Pokemon Centre.

"Pika! Chu pi!" Pikachu announced, tensed up in excitement, looking more than ready to go toe to toe with the powerful fighting type once more. He wasn't one to be scared off by a difficult matchup, and loved a good challenge.

"It'll be interesting to meet the other members of the team," Clemont said, pushing open the door that led into the lobby. Ash could see that Dawn and Serena were already sitting at a table, the latter looking up as he and Clemont entered, waving them over. "I hope they're not as...um...you know, disinterested as the Laverre trainers."

"I hope not," Ash said with a laugh. The two then made their way over to the table Dawn and Serena were at, Ash sitting down next to Dawn, while Clemont sat next to Serena. Ash thought he saw a flash of disappointment on Serena's face as she looked at him, and wondered if something was wrong with Absol. When he asked, though, she just blushed, quickly shaking her head.

"Oh, no Absol's fine," she said, looking down at her plate of breakfast. "Nurse Joy's doing a quick checkup on him before we head over to the battlefield. It looked like he'd had a pretty good sleep last night, so I think he'll be ready to cheer everyone on."

Dawn giggled a little, getting a curious look from the three at the table. "I certainly hope he's well rested. He slept on your lap the whole bus ride!"

Serena smiled at that, looking over towards the front desk, as though hoping Nurse Joy was going to show up in that moment with Absol. "I'm glad Absol was able to come with us," she finally said, turning back to the group, while a Wigglytuff appeared at the table to give Ash and Clemont a plate of food each. "I'm hoping he can learn a few things about performances, and maybe even contests, with the matches tomorrow. And of course, he'll be able to learn about never giving up from watching you battle, Ash."

Ash rubbed his nose, a little embarrassed at that, as Dawn giggled at him. "I bet Absol will learn lots from us," he finally said, beginning to eat. "He's already shown some real guts with the way he's healed so far. Escaping from that hunter showed that he was determined."