Chapter 57: A Mega Dream

Author's Note:

An intense chapter coming up. It's a bit weird, but...I think it works. I've been looking forward to it for a loooonnnngggg time anyway, so hopefully you all enjoy it. Time for Serena's big test!

Chapter 57: A Mega Dream

Serena led the way once she and Ash were outside of the Battle Maison, and in the Safari. It had been easy to get out, nobody seeming interested in challenging them relentlessly once they'd been approached by Abe. However, it was nice to get back out into the fresh air, and away from the loud sounds of battle and yelling trainers. Even Ash seemed a little relieved.

"Looks pretty nice," Ash said as they began to walk. "I wonder if it's like the Safari Zone back in Kanto."

"That's where you got all those Tauros, right?" Serena asked, giggling as she looked back at him.

"Yeah," he said, laughing along. "Thirty of them by the end of it. Any time I tried catching another Pokemon they just ran right in front. They love it at Professor Oak's, though, so it was totally worth it for them and me."

Serena smiled at that, appreciating how Ash loved anything to do with his Pokemon. A lot of other trainers might've been frustrated only getting Tauros out of an expedition in the Safari Zone, but Ash managed to make it seem like winning the lottery.

"I wonder what Pokemon are around here," Ash then said, staring around curiously. "If there's a rogue Absol, maybe a lot of them hide away."

Just then, however, a couple of Doduo ran over a hill up ahead, before disappearing into some bushes, while a Poliwag poked its head up out of a pond towards their left. Serena was pretty sure she could see some rustling bushes up ahead, too, just in front of the forest that stretched out in front of them. It seemed there were at least some Pokemon around, but maybe they liked the cover of the forest growth.

"The rogue Absol is probably further from the Battle Maison," Serena suggested, looking around for any other signs of Pokemon. "It sounds like it makes a point of only attacking trainers, so other Pokemon might not be afraid of it."

Ash nodded, apparently agreeing, before he looked to Serena's Absol. "Do you sense anything, Absol? You might be able to sense something we can't find."

"Sol," Absol grunted, before stepping out in front of Serena and closing his eyes. He seemed to be trying to feel with his mind, rather than listen or smell what was out there. When he opened his eyes and looked back at Serena, though, he looked disappointed.

"Don't worry, Absol, we'll find that other Absol. Or Abe if we need to." She couldn't help but glance around a bit nervously, though, thinking of what that trainer had said. Or is that Absol going to find us?

They continued walking for a few minutes, pausing briefly if a noise was heard, or a bush rustled nearby with a wandering Pokemon. They eventually came to another stop and Ash looked to Rockruff, who was looking a little restless. Serena could see that he was quite excited about his battle success back at the Battle Maison, and rather than being tired out, he'd been invigorated by it. Ash seemed to have an idea for how to burn off some of that energy.

"Rockruff, do you think you might be able to sniff out where another Absol might be, or possibly what direction Abe and his migh've gone?" He then looked to Riolu, which surprised Serena, until she heard the next idea. "And Riolu," Ash then said. "Do you know if you might be able to sense any strong auras around here? I bet this Absol might have one."

Rockruff was already off, sniffing Serena's Absol briefly, before putting his nose to the ground and trying to find some kind of trail. He seemed to have some kind of general direction, but he didn't look too sure. Riolu meanwhile, had stopped and closed his eyes after some encouragement from Ash.