Chapter 22: Anton's Secret

Author's Note:

Yes, I am alive. I'm sorry about how long it's been...again. I just seem to be getting busier and busier these days as things come up. Soon, though...soon I'll at least be more consistent. Anyways...not much to say until after the chapter. So I hope you enjoy. Here it is.

Chapter 22: Anton's Secret

"Clemont, when are you going to battle?" a little girl's voice piped up next to Clemont, as he and his friends got into their seats in the main battlefield that had been opened up just next to the training facilities. It was similar to Clemont's gym, but had plenty more seats for the large crowds attending today's battles. Unfortunately, Clemont wasn't able to quite enjoy it, with his sister, Bonnie, deciding once again that she needed to find him a "keeper". "I need you to do a good job in your battle so that I can find you a keeper. More girls will be impressed if you win, so make sure you do."

Clemont wondered if he'd ever find a way to get Bonnie to stop embarrassing him. He knew it wasn't very likely, having no inventions that seemed capable of stopping her from doing so, with the exception of his Aipom Arm. He decided to just hope that once the battles began, she'd be distracted enough. That was the reason she'd come here after all. Well, that and his promise to let her help with the egg, which she was currently holding, Dedenne keeping an eye on it from her head. "I'm not up until Trevor's match is finished," Clemont told her, looking over to his left, where Ash was talking to Flint and Agatha about his own battle, which would wrap up the competition for the weekend. "Hopefully he can win, and then my job will be to keep the momentum going so that Ash can finish up strong for us."

"And if you do that, maybe I can convince Shauna to take care of you," Bonnie said, starting to giggle as Clemont whipped his head back, looking mortified as he saw Shauna, who was on Bonnie's other side, look at the little girl in confusion at the mention of her name.

"What was that, Bonnie?" Shauna asked, looking between Bonnie and Clemont. After noticing the look on Clemont's face, she seemed to figure it out, and then laughed as well, shaking her head and looking at Bonnie. "You think I'm a keeper?"

"Well you are Clemont's partner for this egg project," Bonnie pointed out, holding up the egg as she spoke. "And Clemont did mention that you guys were doing pretty well so far. Plus, with Serena clearly only interested in Ash, you're the best chance Clemont has right now."

"I've got plenty of chances!" Clemont argued, eyes widening immediately after he spoke. He grabbed his glasses, looking away and pretending to clean them, avoiding Bonnie's and Shauna's eyes. "Just take care of the egg, Bonnie."

Bonnie sighed, and even though Clemont wasn't looking, he knew she was exchanging some kind of mischievous look with Shauna that was definitely not good. "I knew he was struggling without me," Bonnie muttered, "but I didn't know he'd become delusional."

"Don't worry, Bonnie, I think Clemont will be fine," Shauna said, looking at Clemont as he put his glasses back on and gave his sister an exasperated look. "But like you said, he needs to show off some good battling skills in order to impress the girls here...and other places...like Shalour City, maybe."

Clemont tried to ignore that last part, although he couldn't help but imagine himself winning a battle while Korrina watched on, and he looked towards the screen over the right side of the battlefield. It showed six pictures, with Laverre's students on the left side, and Lumiose's students on the right. The points, currently at zero each side, were displayed at the bottom. However, Clemont also noticed on the top right, the standings for the Performance teams, which included the Shalour and Coumarine teams, who must've had their match yesterday as well. It didn't look good.