Chapter 48: Welcome Back! Ash vs Agatha

Author's Note:

And another chapter has arrived! Wow, this is like 10 months of content within a week. Ha...ha...ha...bad joke. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Chapter 48: Welcome Back! Ash vs Agatha

Ash had only been in Alola for a couple of weeks, but he couldn't help but feel like he was leaving something important behind. Obviously his new friends would be missed, but he knew he could still call and talk to them throughout the semester. But, as he looked over towards the forest, while Hala, Kukui and his friends led him towards the airport, he remembered that strange Pokemon he'd seen. He felt connected to it somehow.

Kokokoko!

Ash blinked, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk they were now on. He stared at the forest a moment longer, unsure if he'd imagined the sound or had actually heard it. He could sense Pikachu tensing up as well, though, sure that he must have sensed something, too. The two exchanged a quick look, before they glanced ahead to where Sophocles had paused, turning around to make sure they weren't separated.

"Come on, Ash!" he called out. "Don't want to miss your flight, right?"

"Yeah, sorry!" Ash answered, jogging ahead to catch up.

As he and Sophocoles caught up to the rest of the group, he noticed Rockruff walking alongside Kukui, the Puppy Pokemon glancing back, eyes filled with sadness. Ash knew that Rockruff was going to miss him, and of course that he would miss Rockruff. The feisty rock type was his biggest fan in his training sessions with Hala, and they'd had a lot of fun together with the other students as well during off time from classes. Ash just hoped he'd have a chance to get out some of that battle energy he'd developed.

They stopped in front of the entrance to the airport, everyone looking at Ash as they moved off to the side to stay out of the way of other travellers. Hala was the first to speak after a moment of awkward silence.

"Well, Ash, you weren't here long, but it's pretty clear you've already had quite an impact on us all. You'll be missed." He fingered his Z-Ring, considering his next words. "I know you may feel our training sessions didn't lead to as much as you would've hoped."

Ash looked down in embarrassment. He'd been a bit frustrated in their last couple of sessions, although he thought nobody but Pikachu and Greninja had noticed. It hadn't been easy, knowing they'd intended to return to Kalos, but that they hadn't been able to figure out much else about Greninja's transformation. And their Water Shuriken had continued to fizzle out whenever they'd tried to power it up.

"Don't worry, Ash," Hala said firmly, bringing Ash's eyes back to his. "We've learned more than you think. There's much for Professor Kukui, Professor Samson and I to discuss, and we'll keep in touch with Professor Sycamore as well. I think you'll find you made a lot more progress than you thought. You and Greninja were more in sync each and every battle, I'm sure of it. And it helps you in your battles with your other Pokemon as well. Your Riolu wouldn't be advancing as quickly as he is if not for finding out more about yourself with Greninja."

Ash hadn't considered that, but he had thought Riolu was picking things up faster than he might've assumed at first. It was almost like Tierno and his battling style. The more Ash moved in sync with Greninja, the more he could move in sync with the others, even if they didn't have a special form. He was finding his rhythm more and more.

"It's a long journey to figure these things out, cousin," Kukui said with a laugh, kneeling down and giving Rockruff a comforting pat as he noticed it looking upset. "As long as you've got some great Pokemon by your side, though, you'll be fine. My money's on Lumiose taking that IPL title with you, Greninja and Pikachu leading the way."