Chapter 21: A Need to Worry

Author's Note:

I'm sorry...I've been so busy lately. It's been so tough to write this chapter. But...I finally managed to get it done, after many broken promises on Twitter for when it would be finished. So here it is, I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 21: A Need to Worry

Clemont and the others were waiting in the lobby of the training facilities outside of the theatre while Ash had gone to check on Serena. The morale wasn't too high at the moment, and everyone had their heads hanging low, avoiding the looks of the students walking past. Clemont could see that many looked disappointed, but a few gave hopeful looks to Dawn and Tierno, knowing that with strong performances both those two, the match would end in a draw, and the Performance Team would be more than capable of bouncing back for their next set of matches against Shalour College.

"I can't believe Gabby actually managed to beat Serena," Trevor muttered, fiddling with his camera. "To be honest, I wasn't really expecting these guys to be so good. I mean, I've been training hard like all of you, but I think I underestimated how tough this IPL is going to be."

Clemont nodded, glancing around hesitantly in case any of the Laverre students were around. When he knew they weren't, he continued. "I think it's kind of hard for us to not have taken them lightly. We didn't know anything about them and Serena and Shauna had done so well in a professional competition...it did look like the odds were in our favour."

"We still have time to catch up, though," Dawn spoke up, narrowing her eyes as the rest of the group looked at her. "Tierno and I can still tie this match up. We know how good they are now, so we won't be taking them lightly in our Contest battles. Right, Tierno?"

"We're not losing our rhythm," Tierno added, nodding at Dawn's words. "We just have to move and groove and we'll win our battles for sure. That Jimmy guy is no match for my dancing."

"Right," Clemont said, glad to hear the confidence in both their voices, "we can't take these guys lightly, but we need to still be confident. The Performance Team can bounce back from this, and then the Battle Team can take the momentum and win tomorrow."

"That would be great," Shauna said quietly, still looking a little down from her loss, and perhaps Serena's as well, "but it's easier said than done. At least with me, I know I can prepare a little better next time. I don't know what Serena's feeling like right now. That must've been really tough for her. She's never spaced out like that in a Performance before. Something really got to her."

Tierno and Trevor nodded at that, and Clemont knew both of them had probably been thinking the same thing. "It was really weird, that's for sure," Tierno muttered, tapping his chin as he thought to himself. "She was so confident during her Masterclass, and that was a much bigger deal. It doesn't make sense that this match would've gotten into her head like that."

"I don't think it was the match that got into her head, but rather the opponent," Dawn chimed in, sounding a little bitter. "Something about Gabby must've messed with her. I know what that's like. I'm...a little freaked out by Plusle and Minun, well not as much anymore, but anyways, there was a Coordinator back in Sinnoh who made sure to use the ones she had against me in one of our Contest battles. It was pretty tough to fight through it. With the skill that Gabby has, managing to throw her opponent off gives her a big advantage."

Clemont nodded, thinking of battles that he'd had with trainers who liked to play mind games. His mind immediately went to Anton, who, even though he didn't outright say anything to Clemont other than a few insulting remarks, had put the Gym Leader off of his game with that overly confident attitude. Clemont was about to mention this, but just then, he noticed Ash making his way through the doors of the theatre, his head bowed low as he approached the group.