A Promised Trip

-----

Post timeskip, takes place after chapter sixteen and takes place before chapter seventeen. Takes place on the 6th of Great Tree Moon. Takes place after "Reasons..." part. Takes place after Byleth & Dedue's A support. Recommended for you to read "Broken Bridges & Bonds" before this part.

-----

Byleth went to go and check on the flowers in the morning.

The nightmares about Ferdinand & Lorenz dying the way they did... just wouldn't stop consuming her mind and dreams...

So she unintentionally woke up very early..again.

She wanted to check on the flowers in the greenhouse and maybe water them too.

So she headed there after she got dressed.

However, when she went there, she wasn't expecting company.

Ashe and Dedue were there, already checking the flowers.

It brought back some...memories.

They used to do this all the time in the academy days.

She stopped walking when she was at the entrance.

Both Ashe and Dedue heard her footsteps and turned around.

"Oh Professor! Hello! Did you come here to check on the flowers too?" Ashe smiled when he saw her.

Byleth was taken off guard by that. "Huh?! Oh uh..Yes I did."

"Hmm..Not to sound rude but this early in the morning? That's rather rare."

Byleth flinched a bit from that comment and came up with a lie. "Yeah, I just slept early last night."

"Ah. I see."

Ashe quickly asked something out of realisation. "How's the injury by the way? Does it still hurt?"

"The wound is still there but it barely hurts now." Byleth smiled at the fact that Ashe is caring about that even now.

"That's good but still try to be careful." Ashe seemed relieved.

"Injury?" Dedue seemed rather alert.

"Ah just a few days before we fought at the bridge, The Professor got stabbed when shielding His Highness from a surprise attack from behind." Ashe clarified.

Dedue seemed even more alert. "She got injured from shielding His Highness?"

"Yes but it turned out ok now." Byleth confidently said.

Dedue sighed and looked guilty. "You have my gratitude again for helping His Highness... however...That's my fault... I apologise for not arriving earlier to be the one to shield him instead, you wouldn't have that injury if I-"

Byleth cut him off. "Please don't blame yourself for something like that Dedue, It wasn't your fault at all. I only barely saw the sudden attack and didn't have time to think. So please, don't get mad at yourself."

Dedue sighed again. "As you wish but please, don't let yourself get killed out there."

Ashe joined in. "We'd all be devastated if we lost you Professor."

Byleth tilted her head down.

She didn't answer.

She thought to herself. "Ferdinand and Lorenz probably would be happy if I were killed..."

"...Professor?" Ashe tried to get her attention.

Byleth sighed. "Well...the same goes for you guys too. We'd all be deva- No I would be devastated if you left."

"Please do not waste your time being sad about me if I die, Professor." Dedue said under his breath.

"Dedue...I was heartbroken when I heard you were killed. I..I'm really happy that you're alive. If we lost you again, I..."

Byleth didn't finish her sentence.

Ashe nodded and agreed with her. "Yeah... Dedue please do not ever let yourself get killed."

"Well... I did promise that I would try to live until the end of the war to see the Duscur flowers in full bloom with the Professor...so I'll try but.." Dedue lost the words to say.

"Can you promise you will instead of try?" Byleth asked.

Dedue shook his head. "No. I cannot promise I will live as I would gladly give up my life to save His Highness. But I will try to not let myself get killed. I'm sorry. However, if it does not come to that then...I will live."

Byleth self noted to make sure to use divine pulse if that situation ever happens.

"...Are you going to serve His Highness when the war is over Dedue?" Ashe asked in a bit of a sad tone.

"Yes."

Ashe wasn't surprised. "I see...Well when all of us three live..No I will count His Highness. How about the four of us do something with each other some time after the war does end?"

"Like what?" Byleth asked.

"We travel with each other to the fields of where our favourite flowers are in full bloom." Ashe suggested.

Dedue smiled. "That sounds lovely. I hope that we get to have that trip soon."

"I'm sure we will, Professor what do you think?" Ashe turned over to Byleth.

She was quite fond of that idea.

She nodded. "I love that idea. It sounds wonderful."

...Almost too wonderful.

Only problem was that Byleth wasn't even sure what she was going to do after the war.

But she decided not to think about it now.

There was also the problem with Dimitri but again, she put that thought aside for now...

A trip with three of her special friends...

It did sound nice.

"Perfect! Let's try to make sure that happens someday!" Ashe had an adorable grin on his face.

Byleth smiled.

It really did feel nice to talk to Ashe and Dedue like this again...

-----

A/N: Sorry it's short but this part will have its relevance...haha very soon lol.