SEVEN.

❆❆❆

Episode Two - Part Three

Chapter Twenty-Two - "You look like shit."

❆❆❆

❆❆❆

THE BETTING SHOP WAS quiet as the large Peaky Blinders clan and their workers waited for Polly to walk through the door, it was her birthday today and Angelica and Thomas decided with the rest of the Shelby siblings, it was time that Polly got something she deserved.

Angelica had never heard the Blinder clan so quiet as the door slammed open and Polly stumbled through, her mind still on her children she lost so long ago, the room burst into applause.

"I told you'se, boys, 'ere she is." Arthur cheers as Polly looks up confused.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Polly asks as Angelica walks forward and hugs Polly, who looks at her and Thomas confused. "When did you get back?" She asks them as Thomas slides an arm around her shoulders.

"I didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol." Thomas smiles.

Angelica's eyes scrutinise Polly's body language, the way her eyes winced at the sun shining through the windows, the way her body was tense despite the easy smile on her face. Her eyes weren't shining with happiness, they were cold, cut off.

Angelica knew that Polly had been struggling with the loss of her children, Ada having her own baby clearly caused some of her trauma to push to the forefront of her mind, and because of that Angelica could see she was suffering.

"Back to work." Arthur orders and everyone starts their jobs.

"How d'you know it's my birthday?" Polly asks the group, Arthur's hands coming to rest on her shoulders and push her toward the kitchen. "Nobody ever knows." Polly says to the Shelby siblings and Angelica as they lead her toward the kitchen.

"Ah, it's different this year. John, Finn, bring the car round." Thomas orders and they nod.

"Where are we going?" Polly asks a she looks around confused.

"To unwrap your birthday present." Angelica smiles to her.

Polly tilts her head confused but sighs as they all pile into the car. The woman decide to sit at the back as the men sit on the front and Finn sits on top of Arthur who pretends to groan at how heavy the boy is but keeps him there.

Polly's hands find Angelica's as they hold each other's tightly. Angelica's eyes scan Polly's stressed face. Her hair was a mess, her eyes sunken. Angelica lets go of Polly's hands and they begin to comb through her hair.

"Just say it." Polly says to Angelica.

"You look like shit." Angelica murmurs. Polly chuckles at the honesty.