Epilogue

Eleven and a Half Months Later

Amneris was somewhere between a dream and reality. How she knew that, she had no idea. She just knew. It felt that way. The world around her was black. Not the black she had seen at the Creation. A different black. The black that came while one was waiting for sleep. Or waiting to wake up.

She moved her fingers. It hurt, but she could do it. Same with her toes. Gods, her body ached. It was new. Amneris knew that much. It felt wrong. It was not hers but, at the same time, it was hers. She tried to move her legs. They wouldn't move! No. Wait. They moved. She let out a breath of relief. Her arms moved too.

Amneris tilted her head to the side. She was laying on something soft. Something else soft was covering her. A pillow and blankets. She was in a bed. It felt familiar. Was it her bed? If only she could open her eyes. She needed to open her eyes.

Open them. 

Open them.

Open them.

Amneris' eyes opened. The light burned. Ached. She wanted to close her eyes again but would not let herself. She was afraid of going back to sleep. Of re-entering that dream of a normal life which was slowly fading from memory. She felt her power flicker to life as she forced herself to sit upright. Only to fall back down again. Everything ached. She groaned again.

She must have made enough noise for someone to hear. The door to the room - her room - opened. Colt let himself in. He sat in a chair beside her bed, carefully taking her hand. She squeezed it in response.

Colt raised her hand and kissed it. "You're home now."

She nodded, giving him a small smile. "Yeah," she whispered, her voice aching. "I'm home."