9

Amneris was certain something was wrong. Everything was so . . . perfect! Nothing was supposed to be perfect, not even perfect people.

Of course, this wasn't entirely true. It was more a feeling than anything else. It was enough to make her wonder if she was dreaming. The likelihood of that being the case was becoming stronger every time the thought crossed her mind. But that wasn't possible, was it? If she was dreaming, then what was really happening.

Amneris stared at one of the few imperfections she'd come across in recent days. It was nothing much. A small crack in the wall. She was sure it had appeared out of no where when she blinked. Amneris waved her hand, her power fixing it. The crack vanished, though the thought lingered.

She begun walking away only to hear a thumping noise coming from behind. From the wall the crack had been on. Out of habit, Amneris spun, arming herself with her dagger.

A bright light made her cry out, covering her eyes and jumping back. Her head whacked on the wall behind. She'd jumped too far.

The light vanished. She opened her eyes, finding her sight was still normal. She couldn't deny the relief at not being blinded again.

The crack on the wall was back. Amneris sheathed her dagger, placing her hands on her hips and frowning. How was that even possible? A part of her mind told her to leave it alone. Messing with the unknown always ended badly. The rest of her mind . . .

"Oh, what the hell."

Amneris reached out, her fingertips brushing over the crack. Less than a second later, visions filled her mind. She knew them all. They were her past. Amneris grasped the sides of her head. There was too much coming too fast. She couldn't keep up.

It stopped.

She fell to the floor.

* * * * * * * *

"You will be a great ruler. One to be remembered throughout the ages."

Amneris took her hand off the newest carving on the golden wall. It was her name, forever embedded in diamond alongside those who came before her.

It was her second time in this room far below the Palace. The place where her powers came from. She'd only been a child the last time she was here. A child trapped in the darkness. The room was just as beautiful as she dreamed it would be. More so.

Amneris turned to her adoptive father, tugging at her braided hair. Only now, after the ceremonies, was she able to feel the true weight of the silver diadem on her brow.

"I – I don't know, father. Queen has never really been my thing. You know that better than anyone."

Lvaane placed his bronze hands on her bare shoulders. "Do you remember what I told you the first time you saw the Core?"

"To not fear what comes with the power," she murmured. Amneris looked down, beginning to pull at a loose bit of fabric on her starlight-white dress. "What if I don't want it? The power I mean."

He sighed, kneeling down so she would look at him. "We don't choose the power, Helia. It chooses us. We can't get rid of it until another is chosen to take our place like how you were chosen to take mine. The same will happen for you one day."

"That doesn't mean I want it, or ever will."

Amneris raised her hand. Cyan energy swirled around it like mist, moving slowly to fill the room in a dim blue-white light. It reflected off the many diamond names, sending rainbows across the room.

"You have more control," Lvaane noted proudly, standing and watching the light dance off the gemstone, a hand back on her shoulder. It was comforting.

"Been practicing," she shrugged, making the light vanish with a thought.

Lvaane straighter the diadem on her brow, careful to make sure her hair wasn't too caught in it. Satisfied, he took her hands into his own. "You are not alone in this, Helia. We will stand by you no matter what you decide."