6

Colt Kymmer shot upright in bed, a cold sweat covering his body as he panted. Out of habit, he scanned the room. It was too dark to see even with his adjusted eyes, but he could swear someone had been watching him. But that was impossible. The guards stationed outside his room would stop anyone from doing so.

He untangled himself from the sheets, a cool breeze dancing across his skin as he stood. Colt felt around the room until he found desk. The candle he'd been using earlier was still sitting where he left it after a late night of reading. Lighting the candle with his heka, Colt used the light to scan the room. There was nothing. The room was empty. He decided it must have been a night terror. Those were common these days.

Colt trod carefully as he made his way to the balcony connected to his room, not wanting to wake the sleeping woman in his bed. As no one was around, he didn't bother dressing properly before standing outside. Colt placed the candle on the sandstone barrier and rested his arms beside it, looking out over the city. His city. Kemet was quiet at this time. The silhouette of the city was barely visible in the light of the heavens above. It was mostly dark, though there was the occasional flicker of firelight from inside few homes.

He turned back at the sound of movement from his room. Raising the candle, he was able to see Amneris' outline. She had now overtaken the entire bed, one leg draped over the edge from under the sheets. Colt smiled as she murmured something in her sleep before sighing contently. He didn't remember her entering his rooms but was glad she had. Being able to hold her at night assured him everything was alright. She was alright.

Amneris sat up suddenly, staring straight at him through the darkness. Her eyes reminded him of a predator's in the way they glinted. He went to her, placing the candle beside the bed before sitting. Colt reached out to caress her hair. She purred at the touch.

"Did I wake you, my Tali?"

"Maybe. Maybe not." She smiled at him. Colt loved that smile. "You were talking in your sleep," she said. "Are you okay?"

Yes. No.

He lay down, head in her lap. "I dreamt that you died many summers ago and I brought you back to life years later. You hated me. By the Gods, you hated me so much."

She said nothing, only listening as her fingers ran soothingly through his hair.

"Then, years after that I died too. I was brough back by some woman who put me in a different body." He looked up. "When I found you, you did not know me."

Amneris lifted his chin to kiss him. "I'd know you anywhere, Sn'da."

He took her hand, entwining their fingers. "Can you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Promise me that, when it is time, we go together."

"I promise."

Colt kissed her hand and moved across to bed. He held his arms out to her. With a soft smile, Amneris crawled over and lay down, pressing her back against him. She pulled his arms around her waist, sighing contently as she drifted back to sleep. Colt kissed her neck before closing his eyes. This time, no night terrors came.

* * * * * * * *

The second time Colt awoke, he was alone.

Panic washed over him. Had the night terror been real? Had his Tali gone to Aaru without him?

No sooner than the thought crossed his mind, she walked into the room with a small tray in her hands. She sat cross-legged in front of him, placing the tray on the covers. Leaning over, she gave him a lengthy kiss. Any fear of her leaving vanished in an instant.