5

Jay Winston glanced cautiously over the cliff to the sheer drop he was about to take into the crashing waves below. He frowned. It was a very long way down. Hell, it even gave him a moment of vertigo, his head spinning at the sight. Alas, the jump had to be made. One of the items was hidden in a cave about twenty kilometres offshore.

He looked out, shading his azure eyes from the sun of this world. Jay hadn't discovered his name. Hadn't asked. All he knew was that it was made of mostly water. Some great flood or something. Tayla had made mention on the way here. Jay hadn't paid that much attention.

He was now standing on one of the few remaining landmasses above the almost planetary-wide ocean. A small stone island – no doubt much bigger underwater – was peaking through the surf. He figured that was where they would be swimming to. The distanced suddenly looked a lot further than it really was . . .

A hand squeezed his shoulder firmly. Jay turned to find Ethan looking over the edge with a slight smile. He could all but see the man's excitement at the sight of the drop. "Don't worry," Ethan said, not bothering to hide the humour in his voice. "It's a lot further than it looks."

"Thanks for the support, man," Jay muttered.

Ethan held out a blue-green gemstone on a small rope. It seemed to have a slight glow around it. "So you don't drown," was all the Light-Bender said as an explanation, gesturing to the one around his own neck.

"I'm already dead," Jay sighed, playing the stone around his neck.

Kay and Tayla could breathe underwater no problem. Their species – Zer and Water-Weaver – either lived underwater or spent enough time there that gills were necessary. Light-Benders and Fae on the other hand . . .

The two women joined them on the edge of the cliff.

"Ready?" Tayla asked, pinning her azure fringe with a few clips.

Jay snorted. "No."

As much as he enjoyed underwater missions, this was one he wasn't looking forward to. This time, he wouldn't be able to take his time, enjoying the feel of the currents – both warm and cold – along his skin. This one they had to rush. Time was of the essence. Still, Jay couldn't deny he was glad no one had come to try and stop them.

He cursed under his breath at thinking one of the ultimate jinxes. Now shit really would go down.

The group tense as the air around them rippled, the sign of someone zapping into the area. They turned back, finding two people – a man and a woman – dressed in Terpolite clothing.

The woman Jay recognised as a Fae female from her scent, though the pointed ears and canines certainly gave it away when she smiled. Her wine-coloured hair was cut short, falling slightly over her silver eyes and pale face. The female smirked at him. Jay growled an animal's growl.

The man he recognised as Festus, Leo's childhood friend. Mainly from the picture Leo had shown him after getting drunk a year or so after Jay joined the Court. The Terpolite man looked identical to the picture with his dark skin, long brown hair, and charcoal eyes.

Kayla looked between them, the cliff, and the group. "Okay, who jinxed it."

Slowly, Jay raised his hand.

She shot him a dirty look. "Nice one."

"I didn't mean to!" he exclaimed.

Kayla huffed, crossing her arms and turning away.

Tayla interrupted their almost argument by addressing the Terpolites. She kept her voice calm. Even. No doubt from spending years dealing with their Queen's anger issues. The woman certainly knew how to destroy a galaxy – or universe – on a bad day.