42

Carmin, Dan and Nikki arrived back at the Palace on the fourth day with an unconscious Kek tossed over Dan's shoulder. Colt found himself gaping at the state the three were in, not having expected them to come back looking like they'd been mud wrestling. When he went to ask what happened, Carmin merely help up a hand and requested he wait until they were clean. She and Dan walked out with those words. Nikki stuck around long enough to make sure Kek was properly locked up before complaining about her hair, going after the Dragonoids.

By the time the three returned, Leo had brought Kek up from one of the cells and placed him in an empty room. Amneris had managed to get out of bed, convincing everyone she needed to have words with her "old friend" before being led by Leo into the room.

Deciding it was best not to ask what was about to happen, Colt found himself sitting with Hathor, Carmin, Dan and Jay in the adjoining room. Just in case.

Dan and Jay were caught up in an intense looking chess match. Carmin kept giving Hathor, who was reading a book, worried glances.

Colt moved to take up the seat on Carmin's other side. "What is it?"

She glanced toward him. "Knowing what Amneris is about to do, I don't think Hathy should be here, but I can't convince her to leave."

"What is she about to do?"

Carmin covered Hathor's ears as a scream sounded from the room Amneris, Leo and Kek were in. Hathor grimaced, focusing even more on her book.

Leo walked out. "Yeah," he said, "don't go in there."

"WHAT?" Jay yelled.

"I said, 'Don't go in there?'"

"WHAT? Wait, hang on." Jay pulled earplugs from his ears. "One more time. Go."

Instead of answering, Leo flipped him off and left, saying something about coffee. The confused Jay shrugged and put his earplugs back in, returning his attention to the chess board. Dan seemed oblivious to what was happening.

* * * * * * * *

It was a few more minutes before Hathor was visibly bothered by what was happening. Even so, whenever someone asked her to leave, she still refused. Colt let out a breath. She shouldn't be here.

He pushed himself to his feet and knelt in front of the girl, tilting the book away from her to get her attention. Hathor looked at him curiously. Colt smiled softly. "I am going to head back to the Forest House but am worried I will get lost. Can you please show me the way?"

Hathor nodded, closing her book. She led Colt from the room and they made their way through the Palace's maze of corridors and stairs, eventually reaching the front door. Hathor waved at the guards as they left.

There was an easy path up the cliff-face. They followed it to the grasslands and walked along the riverside toward the forest. Wai'u and unicorns munched on grass, some turning their heads to the pair as they passed. Hathor giggled and waved at the creatures.

The further they walked, the more at ease the girl became. He could tell as the tenseness in her silvery wings vanished. The pair walked in silence, following a worn path into the forest. Colt knew the path would lead them to the waterfall, where they would then have to make their way down another cliff path and move further into the forest. He would be lost if he didn't know where to go, not that Hathor had to know that.

Colt watched as she stopped just before the rapids before the waterfall and knelt beside the river, taking a handful to drink. She stood, smiled at Colt and continued on.

"Why did you want to stay?" he asked, unable to stop himself.

Hathor shrugged. "Don't like leaving mum alone with people she hates."

"And yet, here we are."

She snorted, the motion so much like Amneris that Colt shivered. "You said you didn't know the way. A terrible lie, I might add."

"Then why did you—"

"You're Terpolite. Sure, most of us trust you, but it's still best at least one of us keeps an eye on you. Just in case."

"My evil plan has been discovered!" Colt exclaimed dramatically. "What was I thinking trying to escape!" He lowered his voice to a stage whisper. "Do not tell your mother. I will never hear the end of it!"

Hathor laughed brightly. "Your secret is safe with me."

"Phew. I was worried for a moment."

Hathor led him down the path. It quickly became steep, the two watching their footing. Hathor, surprisingly, stayed close to the hill side of the path. At Colt's questioning glance she said, "Heights."

"Ah."

He thought it strange a girl with wings was afraid of heights. Then again, everyone has that one strange, irrational fear. Though perhaps now was not the best time to ask. Should he change subject?

"So," Hathor said, "you know my mum pretty well?"

Colt blinked. "I suppose so."

"Even though it's barely been a few weeks?"

"Yes."

She hummed. "That's strange."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Why?"

"No reason. Not important." She glanced at him. "Have you met her before? Before Earth?"

Colt shifted uncomfortably. He and Amneris had decided after returning from Terpola that it was best to keep that bit of information to themselves for now—Leo and Lvaane excluded because they knew. He wanted to tell Hathor, Gods he wanted her to know so badly, but with the threat of Enliatu and his followers looming over them, now was not the time for the, as Amneris had put it, 'I am your father' conversation.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to," Hathor said, bringing him back to the present. "I'm just curious. You seem to know her very well. And like her a lot." She stopped suddenly, stepping in front of Colt, glaring and prodding his chest with a finger. "But if you hurt her in any way, I will bring the worlds down on you in a blaze of glory, Demigod style. Understood?"

Colt blanched. "Yes. No hurting. Understood." Why do I feel so threatened by a child?

"Good!" Hathor linked their arms and pulled him along the path.

Colt marvelled at the girl. She was not only a spitting image of her mother but had the same fire burning inside her. It was amazing they hadn't turned out the same way. Having one crazy woman in the family was enough. They did not need a second.

"Hey," Hathor said suddenly, "how much do you know about Lyriumian-slash-Terpolite mythology?"

"A lot. Why?"

She grinned. "I have this essay I need to write."